Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I test a sbus gpib card works ina solaris 5 machine

I've got an SBUS GPIB card but had to replace the workstation I've kept the original harddisk and the card and put it in another machine but its not working how do I get the card to work in the new machine. The drivers are already installed and I've done a boot -r to get the card recognised. Not sure if the box does see the card.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,199 Views)
Hello-

The Getting Started Guide (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/320529b.pdf) discusses many details of this driver. Chapter Three discusses installation verification. There is a utility, ibsta, that can be used to verify installation.

Randy Solomonson
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,199 Views)

If you aren't sure that OpenBoot/Solaris can see the SBus card, do the following:

1. Make sure the SBus slot is in the sbus-probe-list at the ok> prompt. From the ok> prompt, use 'printenv' command to print the sbus-probe-list. Use 'setenv' to set it back to the default (all SBus slots enabled).

2. Use 'prtconf -p' from Solaris to see what OpenBoot delivered to Solaris about what it found in hardware. If the GPIB SBus card doesn't have an entry, it failed probe, or the sbus slot was not in the probe-list when the system powered up.

If you cannot find the GPIB card listed in prtconf, then the driver will not attach to the hardware and it won't work. If could be that the slot's disabled, that the board is bad, or that the SBus slot is bad. Try moving it to a different slot!

Once it's listed (prtconf -p) then you should be able to install the driver and use the card.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,982 Views)