Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I control power supply by steps

Hello all !

I am a new labview user and I am trying to control the power supply as I attached labview VI driver . I want to step voltage start from 0V increase by 0.01 V up to 10 V ;and then from the current 10 V to  decrease from 10 V to -10 V and then from -10 V to 10 V again . And then I automatically reset 10 V to 0 V .It will be  be  continuous  llo circle until it reset to  V.

I am a student and I tried to make it quite a long time. It would be great help for any suggestions/ opinion or example? I have to read many contributions in this forum. But I could not do successfuly  with short time.

Thanks you all in advance.

Toyota
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 41
(5,232 Views)
Sorry! I forgot to attach correct labview driver VI. I made some modifications to connect to the measurement equipment.

regards,
Toyota
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 41
(5,224 Views)
Hi Sophie

You can always ask, but Im not always able to generate a comment immediately.

In this case you have to replace my "control" of the sr830 with one that works.

You best start with a simple program that only controls the sr830.
Probably it will need some initialization, and exit code also.
This program can then be changed into 3 vi's called init sr830.vi doit sr830.vi and exit sr830.vi.
This is all that is needed to complete your program.
Use the init.vi on the position of the visa resource in my example
Use the doit.vi with a voltage input on the position of the update magfield.vi
use the exit.vi after the while.

PS the vi you attached missed also a lot of subvi's so no way to do it for you.

good luck
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 41
(5,220 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 41
(5,189 Views)

Dear Mr. Albert,

I have been modified and tested with the example that you kindly did for me. I am so sorry that the power supply drivers are not included in the attached files. I don’t know why they are not included in it. May be my poor knowledge in Lab View.

I have attached the snap shot of the step voltage power supply program that I modified your example. When I measured with it, I could not get the step voltage as I wanted.

For example, I want to get voltage start from 0V with step voltages 0.01, up to 10 V and then decrease to -10 V and then to 10 V. The output to the PSU should be

(1)0,0.01,0.02,0.03,0.04,0.05……….9.99,10

(2)10,9.99,……………………………..0,-0.01,-0.02,……-10,

(3)-10 ,-9.9,…………………………………………….+10 V stop and INITIALIZE to zero.

However, it stops at 2 V and did not continue as I expected. I tried many times in the start Voltage and step size array . I put start voltage  0 V and  then  voltages as 10.-10 and 10 with same  step size 1 V.

My request is what should I modified to get the output as I expect and how can I put the values in these arrays to get for step 1 through step 3 continuously.

Thanks for all the kind help and suggestions for me.

Sophie

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 41
(5,146 Views)
Hello!

I modified some with the program that I found in this forum to get step voltages as a function of steps.For Example, start from 0 10 0.10....up to 10 and decrease again and then up to 10 again.  Although I modified this section to get 0 to +10; +10 to -10 and -10 to ;10 V. I still difficult to generate these step voltages to the power supply unit. When I tried to control, it strats from 0 to 10 V directly without steps.

I request any help and suggestions . I would appreciate your suggestions upon my request.

Sophie

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 41
(5,080 Views)
Hi

You should have used the step voltage example.vi I did send you in the other thread.

In that example all stepvoltages are calculated before in a loop they are used to output to the generator.

This example uses a subvi to calculate all the steps and you have screenshots of a modified subvi that also tries to output the values.

Pleas look carfully at the text in the icons in the example. One of those subvi's is a dummy one
At that position you should place a vi that outputs a voltage to the generator. By replacing the dummy one.
After that vi, a wait is placed and after  the wait the dmm is read out.

so you have a complete example, study it more carefully
good luck
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 41
(5,074 Views)
Hello!

I really appreciate your kind comments and complete explanations. I tried as you suggest. I placed the PSU voltage output in the dummy one. It worked well.  I set the start voltage as 0 V and I tested it in generate step voltage VI and the simulation showed that the output did well as planned started from 0 to 10V ;10 to -10 V and -10 V to +10 V.

However, I am facing problem in the main stepvoltage example VI. When I ran the program, the output step voltage did not update; I mean it should output like in generate step step voltage sub VI as in your example. Instead, the output is continuously 0 V from the generate step voltage subvi if I set up  0V as start voltage and 1v if I set up 1 V.

In order to update step voltage , my idea is feedback the output voltage from the generate voltge ( power supply unit) to the start voltage. In practically, I could not do like that. Instead, should I need to set arry of start voltage ,in the generate  voltage subvi ; for example now strat voltage can set only 0v or 1 or etc;. Please let me know your kind comments which way is better?

regards,
Sophie
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 41
(5,058 Views)
Hi

can you send me the modified example that worked in simulation mode, with real drivers for the magnet control?
There must be something wrong in that control.

I really do not understand why you are not calculating all values and then use this array of values to do the actual stepping.
Pleas do not mix the generation of the values by the rest of the program.
It is much less understandable that way.

Another question is regarding your sweep values function: Why are you using locals? In this  it is absoultely unnessecary.
Having long wires is not an excuse, readability could but you can do your compares before the wires get twisted.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 41
(5,046 Views)
Dear Mr.Albert,

I am so sorry for my late reply as I got severe cold for one week. I have attached drivers. I would like to explain my plans for my labView.

The first step is generating step voltage s to the magnetic control ( to control by Power supply unit) and the measured the magentic field by
 Gauss meter( Output is magnetic field) and then this magnetic field is represented as voltage by HP. (I converted magnetic field data by IEEE 4884 serial converter).
I want to increase the magnetic field step by step by step voltages such as 0,0.01V,0.02V that will apply to power supply unit. In order to get as a loop, I need to generate step voltages 0~ 10V ~-10V~10V~0 and monitor with HP.

The second step is measurement procedure; while generating step voltage to power supply unit( magnetic field control), for example, 0.01 V, I wait for a delay time and measure the megnetic field by HP and sample voltage by Keithley. And then start another step voltage let say 0.02 V and measure as the previous.

Thanks in advance. Please let me know your opinion and kind suggestions.

Sophie

Message Edited by Toyota on 11-12-2007 07:21 PM
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 41
(4,940 Views)