Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HS-USB

I am having an issue with HS-USB driver.  Enumerates devices and works fine and viewed from Measurement and Automation explorer, but then after some point of enumerating other USB hardware on the system (device under test), the driver seems to hang, and can no longer see the HS-USB controller until I reset the USB device.  Does anyone have a clue why that may be?  We see this occur on may different types of computers, while other computers work just fine.  BTW, we do not see the same issue if we use USB-B controllers on suspect computers.  Makes me think it is a USB 2.0/driver compatability isse.  How would I go about troubleshooting this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,291 Views)
Please tell us the os u r using.Is it vista?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,273 Views)
Also, what driver version are you using?
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,239 Views)
sorry for such late response, was out of town.  OS is Win-XP, and NI Measurment and Automation About box SW version is 4.2.1.300. 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,178 Views)
NI 488.2 SW is 2.52
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,174 Views)

The main limiting factor with the USB-B and USB-HS is the amount of power available from the USB controller on the computer. If you use USB-B and you do not see the problem, it makes me think this is a bus power issue. The USB-HS specifies a maximum power consumption of 500 mA, while the USB-B specifies a maximum power consumption of 200 mA. If the USB controller in the computer is unable to supply the current needed, then a self-powered USB hub can be used to provide the additional power needed for the additional USB devices.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,147 Views)