Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB communication issues between PC and device

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi ,

I have a device, which has an older GPIB version(it is DOS95 base I think). And I want to hook it up to a WINDOWSXP PC which has an updated version of GPIB, but whenever I do it, the WINDOWS XP can't detect the device.

The device, can run on an old DOS based computer. I tried connecting to the device in parallel (using the windows XP PC), so I could check what GPIB commands trhe device is throwing(using NI SPY). But whenever I do that the device wont communicate. However, when I remove the parallel connection to the Windows XP, the device can communicate again.

Can you help me on this?

Thanks!
Appreciate your help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(4,211 Views)

What is the device and what does the program do?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(4,198 Views)

Well,it is like a machine that acts based on GPIB commands from host.

I.E.

Do task A => GPIB command1

Do task B => GPIB command2

and so on...

Yeah, I know it is a little vague, but I think this should be good enough.

Though before they start, they have some sort of handshake.

I know the device GPIB is old because the device hardware is old, just want it to communicate with my newer PC.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(4,197 Views)

@jonathan27 wrote:

Well,it is like a machine that acts based on GPIB commands from host.

I.E.

Do task A => GPIB command1

Do task B => GPIB command2

and so on...

Yeah, I know it is a little vague, but I think this should be good enough.

Gee. You think that is good enough? ? ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(4,177 Views)

:D, you are a bit harsh...that is all I can give you. Generally the problem is if I can communicate my old hardware with an old GPIB using a new one.

There is a reason why I can't give you a detailed explanation of the hardware I am using. Hope you can understand.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(4,172 Views)

As this sounds like an older piece of equipment, you might try the following:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/What-is-the-Scan-for-Instruments-sequence-fo...

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(4,171 Views)

Base on the link:

I should poll on addresses (I think it is 0-30), then if my host find my device let us say, in primary address 6...it will then send an IDN query? or query that asks what device it is?

Does this mean the moment my device responds to that query, then I can now communicate? (so if device does not respond to this query, then device will not communicate? Is this some sort of flag?)

I understand there are legacy devices that does not respond to IDN query.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(4,166 Views)

@jonathan27 wrote:

There is a reason why I can't give you a detailed explanation of the hardware I am using. Hope you can understand.

Hope you understand then that there won't be a detailed answer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(4,160 Views)

If you know the gpib address, then send one of those requests at a time.  Your device should respond to one of those (Unless it uses an encoded system). 

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(4,156 Views)

I'll try that, what do you mean by encoded system?

I tried attaching  a GPIB cable hook on an Windows XP PC (in parallel with the old system).

The problem is whenever, I do that the communication between the two system (device and the old host PC) is lost. Able to communicate again when I remove the cable not sure what would cause that, so am unable to do a NISPY between the old system to be able to see the commands they are throwing to each other.

Would this be any hardware incompatibility issue? Since the old system is running on an old OS, I think windows98? (and my PC is running in XP?)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(4,128 Views)