Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all, I have 5 machines hooked up: 2 meters together that connect to a power supply which goes to a function generator and leads to a thermostream which then my GPIB-USB-HS is used to hook into my computer. I am running an executable from a previous VI, which I tested on the computer that has the original VI. I have the correct runtime engine downloaded, and I can open the VI. There is not a broken arrow for the run button, but when I run it, it immediately stops running as if the VI executed, but nothing happens. No errors or messages. It's like nothing is communicating. So my first instinct was to check the GPIB's. They are all in tight, and I checked to see if maybe the instruments were not recognized by the GPIB-USB-HS, but MAX shows I have all 5 instruments connected when I "Scan for Instruments". On the GPIB-USB-HS there is a yellow/amber light on Ready, and nothing on Active. The GPIB's are all matched correctly too, and the address for the GPIB-USB-HS is set to 0.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,308 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Szklanam
You can build the exe with debugging enabled and place probes to determine what is and what isn't running.

You also don't mention whether you installed the NI-VISA runtime.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,305 Views)

I have not downloaded the NI-VISA runtime yet. I will do that and see if it works, then try the probing. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,283 Views)

I have downloaded the NI-VISA runtime, and it seems as if the instruments are communicating, except for 1, so I think it is some setup we need to do with our instrument. The active light does turn on when the VI is run so that is good to see. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,276 Views)

We had a few tech guys come down because we realized that our equipment was not set to sharing, so there was communication, but our VI could not access the correct file to use. We have since then changed it so the file sharing is working, but we still are not getting the VI to communicate with our equipment. We are using an Agilent Logic Analyzer 1680A, and we have two files set up that you type into the front panel of the VI, and it will open that file on the Logic Analyzer and mock data is being set up so we get something to look at. We ran the executable on the computer that the original VI was created from and used that specific Logic Analyzer, and everything worked fine, but it may possibly be the fact that we were running Windows XP on the original computer that created the VI, and now we're running the executable on Windows 7, and the Logic Analyzer needs an update or something? Anyway, our machines are all talking now, it's just a matter of actually doing what the VI says. (Opening a file to read binary data) 

As always, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,261 Views)