From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Newbie

Some years ago, while I was still working, I obtained an hp 8903. I have recently discovered some rather nice software which I would like to use. http://www.pmillett.com/hp_8903_software.htm.

I have never used GPIB before and I am looking for an interface. I would like to use USB but the prices are way beyond the means of a retired person. I discovered a PCI card for sale on Ebay which is PCI-GPIB/TNT4882C with assembly number 183617K-01. This is card only without drivers. I see two software downloads on the NI site, NI-488.2 and NI-Visa, are these the drivers and which do I need (Windows 7 pro, kept un to date till support was dicontinued)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,340 Views)

I have just found a NI GPIB-USB-HS interface on Ebay at a sane price and have bought it. However I still need the information I have requested.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,249 Views)

I'm no expert here but at minimum you would need NI 488.2 as a driver for your GPIB-USB-HS. I have several of these and if they are from NI (there is counterfeits out there) they work well for a USB interface. Usually I used to download NI-VISA and NI 488.2 to work with these and used NI-MAX to configure them. I'm not at all familiar with VEE but from a quick scan of the website you linked it looks like they configure the GPIB device with a different tool.

To be honest with you I personally would do the whole thing in LabVIEW (there is a free hobbyist version) because that is what I'm familiar with. NI even has a LabVIEW driver for the 8903A and 8903B.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,228 Views)

Thank you Govbob,

That is really helpful information. I had no idea that there was a free hobbyist version of Labview or that there were drivers for the 8903A.

I will certainly look into that.

The interface should arrive on Friday and I am popping over to a used-test-gear supplier near me next week, so I will ask if he has any GPIB cables lying around. With a bit of luck, if he has, he'll probably give me one for nothing, otherwise I will have to look an Ebay.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,223 Views)

If you find that your USB to GPIB convertor doesn't work, I have successfully used the Prologix device for converting from USB to GPIB interface.  I wrote my own instructions here about setup and a provided a simple front end that will help talk to the GPIB instrument here.

Hope that helps.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 5 of 5
(1,168 Views)