Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Interface

Hi,

I am using Agilent 82357A USB\GPIB Interface for Instrument control…This device is detecting  with Keysight tools and I am able to control the instruments…

The problem is when I am using LabVIEW , I am unable to find  Agilent 82357A USB\GPIB Interface Instruments in NI MAX

NI-MAXNI-MAXCan you suggest  how I can detect and control my instruments using LabVIEW with Agilent 82357A USB\GPIB Interface.

Thanks

ANC

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,190 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,174 Views)

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply...

I have installed the all the software required for it and i am able communicate with instruments with Key-sight command expert...

Before opening NI-Max i have closed all the keysight tools and tried to find out the devices in NI-MAx

I have enabled "Select the Passport for Tulip check box" in the below screen shot

Thanks

ANC

TulipTulip

Thanks

ANC

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,171 Views)

Some information on this page may be helpful!

Use Keysight (HP Agilent) GPIB Devices with NI Software

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019L2jSAE&l=en-US

Levi D.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,150 Views)

Thanks for the reply...

I have already followed below instructions:

Keysight Connection Expert 17.x steps:

1. Under the Settings tab, select Options»Keysight 488 Options.

2. Check Enable Keysight GPIB cards for 488 programs.

Still I am facing Same problem...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,142 Views)

Have you rebooted the PC?  You haven't explained what the problem is now.  Can't see device in NI-MAX, can't communicate with them in LabVIEW?  What devices? 

The more details you can provide the more we can help.

Craig 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,137 Views)

Hello All,

First I have installed LabVIEW software in my PC, then I have installed “Keysight_Instrument_Control_Bundle_4.2018” then installed “NIVISA1750”.

My Task is I need control the instruments with LabVIEW using  Agilent 82357A USB\GPIB Interface. I am able to communicate with instruments with Keysight Command Expert.

When I am trying to communicate the instruments with LabVIEW, I cannot see the GPIB Instrument in NI-MAX. I am getting error "No VISA resources found"

I have tried following methods to rectify the problem:

Keysight Connection Expert 17.x steps:

Under the Settings tab, select Options»Keysight 488 Options.

Check Enable Keysight GPIB cards for 488 programs.

2. I have enabled "Select the Passport for Tulip check box" in the previous screen shot

image.png

3. I found the following “visa32.dll “ in the path C:\Windows\System32

image.png

Suggest what I need to do next to solve this problem…

Thanks

ANC

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,134 Views)

Hmm, do you have any instrument plugged in and turned on?  If so then I think you have configured I/O and NI-Max correctly to see them. 

So what happens in LabVIEW if you just specify the instrument address as it appears in Keysight I/O directly (GPIB0::12::INSTR) in your LabVIEW code?  Can you communicate with instruments?  Make sure you have Keysight I/O closed when trying NI-MAX and vice versa, same with LabVIEW.  Just have one of those open at one time.

But if its still not working, the order you installed drivers might be the issue.  Did you install in the order mention in this article?  

https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=488498&nid=-33232.0.00&id=488498

Also look at the advice at the end of this article about configuring the GPIB board number in Keysight I/O. 

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9t6SAC&l=en-CA

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,115 Views)

I have tried all the ways...but it still not working...

I am suspecting VISA primary and secondary issue

I need uninstall the NI-VISA and again need to install...

Finally I have understand that its very difficult to work with 3rd party hardware with NI

Thanks

ANC 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,085 Views)

I also struggled, spending 4 days, to make Keysight 82357B USB/GPIB converter work with NI software. I first installed 64-bit LabVIEW only to find the Tulip passport missing. So I reinstalled using 32-bit LabVIEW 2018 SP1 + NI-488.2 18.5 + NI-VISA 18.5 + Keysight IO Libraries Suite 2019. As prescribed in the articles mentioned in this thread I checked NIvisatulip.dll in NI-MAX and Enable Keysight GPIB Cards for 488 Programs boxes.

By the way notice that within the Keysight Connection Expert there are TWO of these boxes - in the Settings of the Connection Expert  and in those of the GPIB-USB converter. What I got was  NI-MAX taking very long time to start,  reporting database error and My System window was empty. So I unchecked both Enable Keysight GPIB Cards for 488 Programs boxes and lived happily ever after.

I hope this helps.

Ivan

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,893 Views)