From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Daisy Chain Addressing Help

Solved!
Go to solution

I am working on setting up some new equipment, a second setup of one we already have.  In both setups, we are using only one GPIB-ENET/100 and one GPIB-232CV-A with LabVIEW.  On the original setup, which works fine, here is the order of connection:

Computer --> GPIB-ENET/100, connected by an ethernet cable

High-Voltage Power supply --> Lock-In Amplifier --> GPIB-ENET/100 --> GPIB-232CV-A, daisy chained together with GPIB cables

The GPIB-232CV-A has a dip switch address 1, and is also running a DB-9 cable out to a series of stepper motor controllers.  In my Global addresses VI, these stepper motor drives are given a global address of 1, which I understand.  What I don't understand is why the High Voltage has an address of 3 and the Lock-In has an address of 4, which my other VI's do call out in order to communicate with them.  Does this have something to do with the daisy chain order?  Again, there is only one GPIB-232CV-A being used, and it has an address of 1.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,963 Views)

Anybody?  Anybody from NI??

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,935 Views)

I'm not completely sure what you are asking. I know for a fact that the order of connection within a GPIB daisy chain doesn't affect the address of instruments; most instruments can be assigned any address within particular bounds. Are you having trouble with your setup, or are you just confused on the topic of addresses?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,932 Views)

As I said, we are only using 1 GPIB-232CV-A, which is controlling the stepper motor drives.  In this first picture, you can see my global variables.  The 3 at the top are supposed to be GPIB addresses.

Global addresses.vi

In this next picture, you can see how my Read Lock-In Output VI calls a GPIB address that shouldn't exist.  However, it works perfectly even though it is only daisy chained to a GPIB-232CV-A with an address of 1.

Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 7.17.47 AM.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,915 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sullivnc

Nevermind, my devices have internal GPIB addressing

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,906 Views)