Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Communications locks up

I have an application that was working fine. I made a minor modification to the code (changed an array input constant from a 3 to 5), and regenerated the executbale and installation pakcage. Now when I run a test the GPIB bus locks up during the first read attempt and no other traffic is allowed over the bus for the rest of the test. When the application is initiated, the first operation is to initialize all the test equipment. I have verified that this operation is performed. However nothing is read from any of the instruments during this process.  Thus I verified that commands can be sent over the bus during the initialization, but when the first read event occurs the GPIB Bus locks up. I ran NI spy and physically watched all the instruments being set the their respective initial parameters, then when the first read event occurs no other commands appear in the NI spy window.

I have tried using a new GPIB card. I have tried putting the card into a different slot. I have tried changing out test equipment. I have tried changing out GPIB cables. I have tried running the Test Software on a different PC (works fine). I believe I have isolated the problem to the PC. I need to resolve this issue ASAP. Can anyone give me some direction on how to fix this problem?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,828 Views)
If you take the code that fails, undo the change, and build a new executable/installer does it fail? If not the change may not be related to the code change but something else (driver version?).

Can you post your NI-Spy captures of a failing case and a passing case? Passing case should be the same code path with the old version of your code.

You said the setup works fine on another test PC. Are you running all the same software (including drivers) on the second PC? Did you use the same hardware as on the failing system?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,816 Views)