From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fail to communicate using a USB resource on Linux

Dear community,

I come here hoping to get some some ideas and suggestions about a problem I am having connecting a spectrometer device (a ThorLabs product) via a USB interface on a Linux environment. This device requires a VISA implementation to work and to that end I downloaded the NI-VISA libraries from https://www.ni.com/en-gb/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-linux-device-drivers.html#350003 and installed them on an openSUSE-Leap15.1.

Thus far I managed to pick the device control drivers source code from ThorLabs and compiled it with GCC, linking the VISA libraries provided by the NI-VISA package. To initialise the device from the compiled libraries I need to pass the USB resource name and here is where my problems start, since it seems my system is unable to find it.

Here's what I've done to so far:

- Using the command 'lsusb -v' in Linux shows the vendor (0x1313) and product IDs (0x8080), but not the serial number. Also the product ID is not what I expect to see, which is 0x8081.

- Used pyvisa ResourceManager class to list all interfaces with the libvisa.so backend did not return my device, even when passing the query '?*'

- Knowing that it is a RAW instrument I using NI-VISA Driver Wizard following this page but surprisingly the USB option is greyed out. Maybe this could already help figure out what's wrong.

Tried this before on a Windows machine with the NI-VISA libraries and it worked flawlessly, so in a way I know what I am looking for.

I feel that I am close to solving this but I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(848 Views)