Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event Handler TabPage in VISA Test Panel and the Mechanism Handler option are missing in NI-VISA version 4.0.0.49152

Hi

I want to know why my NI-VISA new version 4.0.0.49152 does not display the viEventHandler TabPage as in previous version of NI-VISA as version 3.0.2.xxxxx.
Also in the version 4.0.0.49152 the Mechansim Handler option is disabled and only the Mechansim Queue option is enabled.
For my driver I need the Mechanism Handler option.
Anyone knows why this new version does not have these event handling options anymore?

Thanks

Sorin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,282 Views)
Hello sorinvelea,

This option is not available in Measurement and Automation Explorer in the newer version of VISA.  However, it is still available in LabWindows/CVI and LabVIEW.   What will you use to program your driver?  What instrument are you using?
O. Proulx
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,227 Views)

Hi Olivier

Having that option in Measurement and Automation Explorer was a good tool for testing the Event mechanism workings.

I wonder why this option has been disabled. For my driver we are using NI-VISA to talk to our instrument over Ethernet. I am able to use the Event mechansim tough provided bi NI -VISA-COM library as the public interface of this library still support this mechanism.

Your answer confirmed me that this option has been disabled by NI and not that something else is wrong in my NI-VISA installation or the way I use the Measurement & Automation tool.

Thanks

Sorin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,224 Views)
After a little bit more digging, I found how to have access to this functionality.  If you open the VISA Interactive control from MAX, go to Edit -> Preferences and change the compatibility mode to LabWindows/CVI.  This should let you select Handler for Event Handler Mechanism.
O. Proulx
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,212 Views)

Hi Olivier

Yes I was able to enable the Event Handling mechanism in VISA Test Panel trough this sequence:

Menu->Tools->NI-VISA->VISA Interactive Panel->Edit->Preferences->Preferences

I have MAX Version 4.1

Thanks for your help!

Sorin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,209 Views)