Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDVR errors

I am running Linux 5.1 OS, controlling several different types of test equipment. Periodically, I get an EDVR error returned from the GPIB box. This error can occur after hundreds of successful measurements, and once it occurs, I am unable to obtain any additional measurements, I have to exit the application and restart. I am using Version 2.2 of NI software /  GPIB ENET 100. Some of your documentation suggests the GPIB hardware is improperly configured. If I am able to get measurements previous to the EDVR message, is it safe to assume that the GPIB configuration is correct? I have also read that several opens could cause this problem. Its possible that one application may perform more than one open. How many open's could end up causing this problem? Can you think of anything else that could be causing this problem? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,679 Views)

Hi nc_pa,

I assume that by performing more than one open, you are referring to attempting to access the GPIB-ENET/100 from multiple computers at once.  If this is the case, you could be seeing some unexpected behavior if you are not properly blocking and unblocking access to the device.  I have attached a link to a KnowledgeBase article that describes this in more detail:

Accessing a GPIB-ENET from Different Computers at the Same Time

The fact that you have been able to take succesful measurements does seem to point that you have configured the device correctly.  I have attached another KnowledgeBase article, though, that goes more in depth with the error you are seeing and how to troubleshoot it.  I hope this helps.  Let me know your progress!

Error EDVR (2) when using IBIC on Linux with a GPIB-ENET/100

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,657 Views)

Thank you for your response. For the multiple opens, I am doing this from one application. Here is the sequence that I do:

I may do this three times during one application:

ibfind

sendIFC

devClear

enableRemote

Then I do many 'send' and 'receive' messages.

I just started getting these EDVR errors after updating my GPIB driver to version 2.2. Previously I was using a very old version - 1.2. I can force this error condition to occur, and with the old version I would get timeouts but the driver would recover. With the version 2.2 driver, it will just continue to return these EDVR errors.

I put some test code in that sent out the ibfind/sendIFC/ devClear and enableRemote sequence when the EDVR occurred but that did not help. Are there any other commands that I can send that would get the driver out of this error condition? Right now, the only way I can recover is to stop the application and start over.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,640 Views)

Hi nc_pa,

I would recommend upgrading your driver to the most recent version and see if this fixes this issue.  I have attached a link below to the most recent version of NI-488.2 for Linux, which does have support for the GPIB/ENET-100.  Also, are you putting delays between your read and write commands?  Perhaps it is timing out because a particular read or write after that amount of time is being missed.  Thanks, nc_pa!

NI-488.2 2.5 - Beta 32 Bit - Linux

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,622 Views)

How do I find out what firmware version I have on my GPIB ENET box?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,611 Views)

Hi nc_pa, 

You should be able to see your current firmware in the Firmware Update Utility.  I have attached a link to a KnowledgeBase article that explains how to update your firmware for your GPIB-ENET/100.  I hope this helps!

Updating the GPIB-ENET/100 with the Latest Firmware

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,600 Views)

On the suggestion to upgrade to NI 488.2 2.5, is this distributable? If we can not distribute it, when will it be distributable?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,577 Views)

Hi nc_pa,

Could you clarify your definition of distributable?  Are you distributing an application of yours as an executable that you are wanting to include 488.2 with?  Thanks!

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,569 Views)

You are correct, we are distributing our application to many customers. We statically link in your driver. We are using version 2.2 now because that is 'distributable'. We would like to consider a later version but are limited only to those versions that can be distributed.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,564 Views)

Hi nc_pa,

You should be able to distribute applications with the newer version of the driver as you have been distributing the older version of the driver.  I hope this helps!  Have a great day!

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,558 Views)