Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver Problem for NI VISA for USB Instrument

Hello,.

I am using Texas Instruments MSP430 Flash emulation tool(USB device) for Flow Sensor Project, I want to display the temparature readings in Labview in my PC, I want to enable the device as NI VISA instrument.

I have tried the USB instrument tutorial to create driver using Device development wizard (DDW). I have installed the driver using .PNF file created. The system culdnt detect the device under VISA devices  and display it in measurement and automation hardware devices!

Is thr any way i can resolve this issue?  or is thr any othr way so tht i can display readings frm USB device.?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,317 Views)

Hello aarief,

Unfortunately there is no standard support for the driver development kit. Only OEMs are supported with the DDK.

The MSP430 is the programming (JTAG)-Interface to your TI-MCU. There is no "regular" instrument driver available, because

the most common use-case is to program a target with it through the respective C-Compiler for the target.

You could built a Toolchain to your target with LabVIEW Embedded, but this would just be an extension of the original TI-toolchain

enabling you to program and debug the target with LabVIEW.

There is another way to communicate with the MSP430, the Bootstrap Loader, a character-oriented serial protocol which can be enabled on the chip.

This thread from some NI- users describes it a little bit: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=204219&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

But this is not supported by NI.

best regards

Marco Brauner NIG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,286 Views)

Yes,..Labview Embedded is only for 32 bit MCUs,. but MSP430F2274 is 16bit MCU..

but is there any method so that i can display readings from my USB MCU Emulator module directly in Labview in my PC..

like if i save the reading in form of matrix or txt file from USB module and use that matrix in analysing the values and displaying them??

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,272 Views)

Hello aarief,

LabVIEW is not directly involved as there is no driver for direct communication with the programming interface (PI),

so you have the following choices: 

- program directly with the PI´s driver dll (I dont´know if this is possible and documented...)

- active-x programming (automating) the IDE in order to exchange data with LabVIEW

- programming of the UART Serial Interface of the MCU (which, in my opinion, would be the easiest and most convenient choice)  

Reading the values from a file is ok, but how do you write the file in the first place? Once you have a way to access your values, you can transfer them to LabVIEW and no

File I/O would be needed at all... 

regards

Marco Brauner NIG 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,243 Views)