From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy IVI application

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello,

Background:
     After obtaining my NI-USB-GPIB-HS I've written an application that uses the IVI DMM class and an IVI specific class (HP34401a) in Visual Studio.net C#.  In order to write the app I needed the IVI compliance package(64MB) and NI-VISA(309 MB) both massive downloads.  I also needed Max (came with CD).  With Max I created a logical name that I used in the code.  I'm guessing Max is used for the ConfigurationStore that is needed at Run time. 

Question

Now, how would I go about deploying this application?!?  Would each target that is running this app need the NI-VISA+IVI compliance package+Max (needed to edit logical name)+My Installer for App?  This seems quite huge!

1) Do I need to package NI-Visa,IVI compliance package and this is free for them to use right?
   2) How can they get something like MAX since it may not be free? or is it?
   3) can you outline the process to deploy this.  I've seen another message with a reply but it was referring to deploying with LabView.

Thank you
Amiel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,439 Views)
>1) Do I need to package NI-Visa,IVI compliance package and this is free for them to use right?

As long as the target system uses NI-GPIB hardware, NI-VISA is required to drive the GPIB hardware through the NI-488.2 device driver, and they are all free for NI-GPIB users. As for NI IVI compliance package, it is required to install if your app uses IVI-C driver API and IVI-C based class driver DLLs.  (Normally NI IVI compliance package is unnecessary if you use IVI-COM interfaces.)

However, IVI Shared Component is still necessary, but this software is included in the recent NI-VISA installer.

>2) How can they get something like MAX since it may not be free? or is it?

NI-MAX comes with NI-VISA package and automatically installed with VISA.

>3) can you outline the process to deploy this.  I've seen another message with a reply but it was referring to deploying with LabView.

To configure the logical name (or virtual instrument) settings, there are two ways - 1)set up IVI Configuration through the NI-MAX's GUI, 2)set up IVI Configuration programatically through the IVI Configuration Server API. Physically, IVI Configuration Store is <IviStandardDirectory>/Data/IviConfiguration.xml. <IviStandardDirectory> is typically "Program Files/IVI" or "Program Files/IVI Foundation".  I think you already know how to edit it through NI-MAX, I explain the 2nd "programmatic" approach.  The XML is physically possible to edit with an XML editor as it is simply an XML, but it is safer to modify this through the IVI Configuration Server API.  The API description and sample code is introduced in IVI-3.5 Configuration Server Specification at the following site.

If you want to deploy the same system to large number of target PCs, you should consider to write an automation program that accesses IVI configuration server API.  But otherwise, manual configuration by hands (uinsg NI-MAX) may be easier and faster, or an extreme way is simply copy/overwrite the IviConfiguration.xml on each PC.

このメッセージは 03-26-2008 10:12 AMに Makoto が編集しています。
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,427 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fivealive
Hello Amiel,
       Here are my suggested deployment steps:
  1. First, identify the components that your distribution needs:
    1. The compiled application
    2. Run-Time Engine for the ADE (LabVIEW RTE, CVI RTE, etc)
    3. NI-VISA
    4. NI Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX)
    5. Bus drivers (NI-488.2, NI-Serial, etc)
    6. IVI Compliance Package (ICP)
    7. IVI Instrument Specific Driver(s)
  2. Now, either manually or with an installer:
    1. Place the application in the proper location
    2. Install all of the components
      1. If not using an NI ADE, make sure that you install the components in the proper order (MAX>>Bus Drivers>>VISA>>ICP>>Specific Driver(s)>>RTE)
    3. If using an IVI Class driver – Import the IviConfigurationStore.xml
      1. This will import the Logical Names and other IVI configuration information
    4. Import the MAX configurations
      1. Necessary for TCP/IP VISA resources
    5. Configure GPIB settings if necessary
With either manual steps, automated installer, or a combination of both, it is very important to test your distribution process on a clean machine before attempting to deploy it to your end-users.  Make sure to well document any manual steps that the end-user needs to do.
Message 3 of 3
(3,386 Views)