Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data string length in 488.2 USB version 4.10

I am trying to download a 386 character ASCII data string of consisting of frequency points and calibration factors into a sensor PROM on a BOONTON 4400 Peak Power Meter using NI 488.2 USB version 2.10.  I am experiencing problems with string truncation when I attempt to paste an ASCII text file into the "Send String" window in Communicator: it appears as if this "Send String" data field is limited to 100 characters....  Is this the case?

Is there any way to modify / increase the field length to accomodate a data string of this size?

Any help is appreciated!  Thank You!

Stan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,936 Views)
Hi Stan,

You are correct; there is a 100 character limit in the "Send String" window.  The Communicator is meant to be used to test out configuration settings.  It is not meant to be used in production or for more robust applications.  These applications are generally written in a certain development environment (LabVIEW, CVI, .NET, etc.) and will allow you to send larger strings over GPIB.  Are you a development environment to program your application?  What is your overall goal with this setup?
Robert Mortensen
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,908 Views)