Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting an instrument using GPIB-USB connection.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to use a GPIB-USB adapter to control a Source Measurement Unit from LabView. However, I am having trouble getting my instrument drivers to recognize the GPIB address that specified for the device. I've attached an image below of address specified by IO Keysight Connection Expert. I am currently trying to initialized the SMU with the GPIB driver I've attached below. Due to my limited knowledge on instrument control in LabView, how should I approach gathering the correct GPIB address and recognizing it within my VI?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,174 Views)

Hello,

I would recommend using NI MAX to configure and find more information on your GPIB device. Information on this can be found in the link below.

Installing GPIB-USB Controllers

https://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/instrument-control/gpib-usb

Give the above a read, and see if that helps you find information on the device.

Best,

Shamik C 

Applications Engineer 

National Instruments 

http://www.ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,129 Views)

Shamik,

Thanks for the help. I was able to enable both Keysight Connection Expert and NI MAX and get my Keithley SMU recognized on NI MAX. However, now when I enter my GPIB Address ("24") into my Labview Keithley driver, which I attached above, I still cannot communicate with my SMU. How can I establish this connection from within LabView?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,086 Views)

ignore

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,061 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wyattcurtis824

Hi wyattcurtis824,

Before we dig into the LabVIEW code, I would recommend opening a Test Panel in MAX and trying to communicate with. Are you able to send commands via Keysight Connection Expert or NI MAX and see valid data?

Also, when you run the driver vi in LabVIEW, does it return an error in the error out box? If so, what error is it?

This information shoule help us get to the root of the issue.

Best,

Austin H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,036 Views)

Thanks for the help!

I was able to get the SMU to communicate with LabView by testing a connection in MAX and finding the root error.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,012 Views)