From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNC control using third party controller

Hi guys,

I am a beginner to labview.

I am trying to know, how to communicate with a third party controller of a three axis cnc machine using labview.

For eg if i start from a normal communication like asking for IDN etc there is no response always a time out error occurs, so basically I think the machine is not communicating.

I have also read the manual of the controller, but there is no information regarding basic communication. The protocols involve all about what command is required to move a axis etc.

Or is this how the protocols of a third party controller are normally and we have to start coding.

I want to generally know whether can i communicate using labview with this 3 axis cnc machine or not._(stepper motor is used for movement)

Please assist!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,627 Views)

Hi shek123,

I did something similar, namely controlling a 3D printer from LabWIEV using a cRIO.

LabVIEW runs a VI on the cRIO (which is sort of an embedded system). The cRIO has NI 9512 C Series Motor Drive Interface Modules in it. The modules connect to Kollmorgen p7000 series motor drivers, which connects to serco motors. This is multiplicated 4 times for 4 axes.

Software wise I use LabVIEW to read gCode, NI-Motion to pass the instructions to the motor drivers.

I hope this makes sence. What about your setup?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,566 Views)

okay.

The good news is that now i can communicate with the instrument, but I can't change the mode of the instrument.

Basically the mode has to be changed for different parameters.

For eg I i want to move the axis, I use mode 1, or I have to set the speed parameters, i change to mode 2.

But the commands are valid only when the controller is set to the respective commands.

I can change the mode, I also see the mode is changed, but when i give some command, it shows the the commands are invalid for this mode.

For your info: I can't use a crio because i don't have the c-series module.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,562 Views)

Hey,

So can you change the modes or not? 😄

Also it would help a lot if you could specify exatly what hardware and software you are using in your setup.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,550 Views)

yes I can change the modes but when I give the respective commands, it shows the error that the command you have given is invalid for this mode. Even though the mode is changed.

I am using a third party controller

CNC CONTROL CNCOON from Buckhard lewetz version 1.30 - A three axis serial controller for the cnc.

For info: But it is already interfaced using matlab using the same commands

I dont know why in Labview this issue is

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,547 Views)

What communication protocol are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,543 Views)

ASC2 PROTOCOLS

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,541 Views)

Hey shek123,

Sharing your code and the manual containing the proper commands could help me understand the nature of your issue.

Is it possible to share it with me here?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,514 Views)

Hi

Thanks for your help. I found the issue and now its working fine with labview.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,512 Views)

Great news, thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,508 Views)