Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-detection of LXI instruments on Linux

Using Linux version: Linux Suse 42.3
VISA version 17.0

Problem: LXI instruments, connected by Ethernet, are not discovered in programs such as NI-VISA Configuration and VISA Interactive Control.
For instance, Keysight 34461A, MDNS is turned on. But, I can establish a connection using IP-address of device manually. Why LXI devices are not discovered?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,787 Views)

If you check the readme for NI-VISA 17.0 you will see it currently supports Linux Suse 42.1 and 42.2 but has not been tested for 42.3.  So it is hard to say what that exact issue is.  

If you can replicate this issue with one of the supported OS versions this driver supports we can than look further into why these devices are not appearing.

CC
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,747 Views)

Unfortunately the version of Suse 42.2 is no longer supported and I have no choice.

I do not think there is a problem with the Linux version. Perhaps I do not understand something about how the instruments should be defined. Or they need to be manually set in Linux.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,741 Views)

The cause of the problem is found.

The NiLxiDiscovery (nilxid) service does not work with the -deamon option. Error in the logs of "faied to create pid file".

What could be the problem ? Which path to the PID file should be?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,723 Views)