Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO Profinet Module Scan Rate

Hello,

I'm getting ready to connect a cRIO device to Profinet with the c-series card.  I plan on using the FPGA example that ships with the card as-is and putting the rest of the logic that I need on the RT side.  My question is, how fast can you poll the cyclic I/O?  The default I/O delay from the module to the FPGA (through spi communication) is 10 ms.  How fast can I make this?  5 ms?  1 ms?  < 1 ms?

I plan to operate in continuous read mode and want to make sure the results are updated when I read the 8 Byte block "offset" value.  I plan on waiting a minimum of 2x the scan rate (default 10 ms).  I'm not very concerned that the Profinet data is the absolute latest, most recent, but I want to make sure that I'm reading the correct part of the buffer.

I've attached screen shots of the example.  On the front panel the control is in the upper right corner and titled "Delay (ms)".  On the block diagram it is in the right-most pane of the flat sequence and called "IO Delay".  It sets the loop rate for that loop.

Thanks for any advice.

-Chris

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,546 Views)

It may not have been clear in my previous message, but I plan to leave the Cyclic IO in continuous read mode.  Then I will change "offset" to get different parts of the data in that "slot".  I want to make sure that after changing "offset", that I'm actually reading the data at that offset (the loop will have to cycle at least 1 time to ensure this).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,526 Views)

The Profinet module is a device/slave not a Master. That means datalength and cycle time are specified with the Master and theseconfigurations should match your VI settings.

The 8 Byte data setting is just an example, but you could read more up to the offset limits. The Module supports cycle times of 100 ms (NRT) to 10 ms (RT) and 1 ms (IRT), but it depends on your Master what mode to run.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,518 Views)
Just recently I bought the cRIO Profinet IO C - Series module, it came with a CD so first thing I did was install whatever necessary from the CD into my computer.

Next thing I did was follow every single step provided from
except for Step 3 where it ask me to import my GmBH file into the native software  of my other controller (the example uses Siemen S7 HW config) which I want to communicate to because that other controller is still not available for me.

Before the other controller becomes available, I need to make sure that this module is working as needed.

However, at the fourth step I am stuck due the inability to compile the FPGA Example you attached with your Comsoft installer CD that came along with the module.

first I tried with the Ethernet RIO NI-9146, then I thought maybe the error was due to the absence of a controller.
I switched to cRIO-9014 just to make sure, and the same error pops up.

can anyone give me some advice? Smiley Happy

Error.png
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,240 Views)

Hi Ahmad,

The original post has been answered and is many months old. Please post on a new thread so that it will get better visibility and will have a higher chance of being answered.

Regards

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,231 Views)