Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC Valve Ethernet IP Communication

I am attempting to communicate with an SMC fieldpoint valve array model EX600-SEN5-X22 with some additional I/O modules attached to it via Labview's EthernetIP toolkit.  I am using the example Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit).vi that comes with the toolkit and I able to view the status of the digital lines of the modules, but unable to set the valves or digital outputs.  I spoke with SMC and they said the manifold outputs are not able to be controlled via explicit messaging.  

Any ideas on how to set digial outputs or valves of the device in question.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,996 Views)

Hi,

I think this is more device usage related.

Page 56 of the spec talks about RSlogx5000 connecting with the device. I think this means you can communicate using implicit messaging. LabVIEW EIP toolkit has this function as well.

You should try Create Assembly Instance.vi. The parameters should be set in accordance with the spec.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,986 Views)

I looked at the Create Assembly Instance.vi and it is not sending any data to the valve.  Which makes sense to me because in the assembly VIs there is no where to put an IP address.  Is there another piece that needs implemented to get this to work?

I am new to the EthernetIP and a bit confused.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,975 Views)

hello Funk

Could you give more information about how you are using the Create Assembly Instance.vi? That way we could analyze how you are creating the assembly instance..

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,937 Views)

Hi Funk,

Sorry I meant that the EIP parameters for implicit messaging is defined on that page and when you communicate with a scanner, those parameters need to match. However, EIP toolkit can not be a scanner; it can only be an adapter. So using EIP toolkit, you won't be able to communicate with your device in implicit messaging way.

You were right to choose Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit).vi . It's supposed to be able to set/get the attributes of that particular class instance. I don't see why it can not be written. 

You mentioned that SMC said that the manifold outputs are not able to be controlled via explicit messaging. Did they suggest the way to set it? It'd be very weired if the assembly data could only be set via implicit messaging and explicit messaging could not set it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,930 Views)