Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to understand what drivers come with PXI PROFIBUS M/S

I have an OEM client who wants me to configure and comission a new project.  They were given a LabView program from THEIR client, written in 8.5.  My client purchased a PXI system including a PROFIBUS Master/Slave card 780161-01.  I need to make their LV system communicate with a Seimens S7-315 PLC over Profibus.  My first question is if I need to purchase any additional OPC drivers or anything, or if there were drivers included with the board which will enable OPC communication to the PLC.  Drivers need to be compatible with LV 8.5 as I will most likely leave the code in that version, to be compatible with the end user's software.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,623 Views)

Search for profibus from ni.com/drivers and get the latest visa driver.The readmes on the page should say what version of LV are supported. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,619 Views)

It appears I would need the NI-PROFIBUS Version 1.1 drivers to be compatible with 8.5.

SO, if I download and configure the profibus VISA drivers, I should be able to connect the PC to the PLC and communicate?  I don't need to buy the OPC Client / Server software from NI?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,617 Views)

They are two separate technologies. I believe you could get this working with OPC servers separate from this card, but the card doesn't require it. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,615 Views)