Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get several tags in only one communication?

Hello friends,

First of all, I apologize for my bad English. I'm not a native of English so doing my best with Google translator.

I joined this company a month ago and they ordered to make PLC-PC communication program with LabVIEW.

I handled LabVIEW a little at University and I wrote it on the resume. (I think that's the reason why they employed me.)

but in my department, I'm the only one who have experience about LabVIEW and CLAD so I have to do all of thing on my own.

They bought E/IP Toolkit for me but I've never used it before. of course PLC too.

what I did at University is just make stuffs like drones or robots with sensors. I never experienced an industrial protocol things.

I apologize again that the introduce is going too long. I'm the only one how employed this season so wanted someone to pouring out.

so my question is 

1. Can I get several tag data (for example, get Velocity, Torque, Running status) in one communication with E/IP toolkit?

- I made a program for communication but I had to use "for loop" to get 5 kind of data at ones

- but my supervisor want to get the data without "for loop" (because of processing time)

- I saw someone who double checked that E/IP toolkit don't support read multiple tags. can I get the link of the page?

2. If E/IP Toolkit can't, TCP functions can do it ?

- I read almost of this forums but couldn't find the answer.

- but I found some opinions that "Use TCP function to get several data in one array"

- If I have to get many data in one process, I have to use TCP not E/IP?

I look forward to hearing from you.

best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,502 Views)

I thought about the problem, 

For example, If PLC and LabVIEW can communicate 5 data in same time, I can solve it with just put five Read tag blocks on the program.

Is there any limitation about number of communication in same time?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,459 Views)

Hi,

It would help if you tell us which protocol is used.

And post the VI's you have.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,448 Views)

Hi forum !

I don't need to solve this problem anymore.

It was decided to have a measurement cycle of 50ms so we could use For loop but another problem occurred.

I made a TCP/IP based communication program but they want to run it with I/O messaging like UDP/IP

we using NJ series PLC, Omron so want to use "Tag data link" with LabVIEW.

as you know, vis about PLC Tag in NI industrial EIP communication toolkit is for Explicit messaging not Implicit messaging.

but if we can handle PLC configuration, It looks very similar between how to use Tag data with UDP and TCP

is anyone have used Omron's "Tag data link" with LabVIEW?

if I made it, share it with forum.

best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,432 Views)