From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration of Comsoft cRIO Profibus Module

I am having trouble configuring a Comsoft cRIO Profibus Master/Slave Module (NI Bundle Part Number 781352-01) as a Profibus Master. I am following the DP Master-Getting Started manual version 1.8/23.07.2012 (see attached file) and I am in Section 3.1 where you go online and select the module in the COMSOFT Configurator II software. Figure 6 in the manual shows a hardware device in the Hardware Selection window. On my system there are no devices shown in this window. The next step the manual suggests is  "If nothing is displayed click the VISA-Config-Button to rescan the available cRIO system." I have tried this step and still no hardware is displayed in the Hardware Selection window.

My laptop is a MacBook Pro using a virtual machine (VMWare Fusion V5.0.3) with Windows 8 as the OS. I am able to communicate with the cRIO with no issues from the virtual machine but this is the first time I am trying to configure a module in the cRIO.

Here are some details about my system and the software installed:

Hardware:

cRIO 9068

Comsoft cRIO Profibus DP Master/Slave Module (NI Individual Part Number 150251A-01) installed in Slot 1 (no other modules installed)

Software:

LabView 2013 Professional Development with RT, FPGA, DSC modules

NI-VISA V5.4.0

Comsoft Configurator II V1.2.44

Comsoft cRIO PB V1.1.10

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,378 Views)

Have you ensured that you set the NI-VISA options correctly in MAX? I've noticed that the document you linked is a bit vague and doesn't have a step-by-step procedure. I have you seen this link? I would run through this and make sure the NI-VISA security and remote systems are configured properly.

dK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,355 Views)

Thanks for the feedback. I have been working with another NI Applications Engineer on this issue, and I fould out the following:

1. This Profibus module is designed to work with the 911x series cRIOs. I have a cRIO 9068. I understand a driver for this cRIO will be release sometime 1st quarter of next year.

2. I am using LabView 2013 and Windows 8. Because of this combination, it appears thst the Comsoft Configurator II software that came with the module doesn't install all required components.

I have installed a newer version of the Comsoft Configurator that was proided to me by the NI Applications Engineer, and also a beta driver for the cRIO. It is working now, and I am able to download configurations to the Profibus module. I will have some Profibus Remote I/O soon that I can use to test.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,350 Views)