cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANOpen or J1939

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello colleagues,

I have to develop a SW for CompactRIO to communicate with a PLC on CAN.

My question: Which protocol, CanOpen, or J1939 is easier and faster to implement from example? I am in big hurry and need to set up the communication for my prototype as soon as possible. What is your recommendations? I am using CompactRIO.

Thank you in advance for quick reactions!

With Regards

Petr P.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,167 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author F2P

Hi Petr, 

We have a reference example for j1939 but no official driver. That said there is a veristand custom device that might make it easier if you are familiar with veristand. 

If you have canopen hardware, the canopen API and examples will probably be faster and are supported. However, we only have one piece of canopen hardware for the cRIO, the 9881. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,152 Views)

Hi Jesse,

thanks for support.

So I will try to go in the way of CAN Open.

We are using the CAN card NI 9853 in our CompactRIO for development.

BR

Petr

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,139 Views)

Hi Petr, 

To clarify, the canopen driver will not work with the 9853 and only works with the 9881.

We do have a reference example for canopen on the 9853 however. This document should summarize canopen support: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/13C3CB1148A2AEA4862579DB0066E66B

I have used that example before and it works fine. However, if you need to do more than simple commands do recognize it insn't feature complete. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,133 Views)

Hi Jesse,

I did not know this, I thought the CAN is just physical layer and I can use whatever protocol also with my card NI9853.

So if the Can Open is not possible here, is possible to use the J1939 with NI9853?

Thanks a lot for support.

Petr

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,131 Views)