From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Profibus Help Needed

I've been tasked with establishing some communication between a spectrometer (interfaced with by a laptop) and a process skid on a Profibus network to have data such as concentration/total mass/etc. appear on it's hmi. Ive had success in writing a program in C# that mapped this data to analog signals via an NI 6009 and the nidaqmx api to communicate with other skids but am at a loss when it comes to serial communication, how would this connection be established? Could I similarly map the data using some digital i/o device an/or Profibus interface module? I apologize, I'm completely new to this sort of thing, and any sort of Product/Resource recommendation would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,825 Views)

Hi mbatc,

What devices are you trying to communicate with?  Are you looking to communicate using a compactRIO or PXI/PCI device for your PROFIBUS communication?  Are you looking to communicate in LabVIEW or a different programming language?  In terms of LabVIEW, we have our cRIO PROFIBUS module, and was also have PXI/PCI format.  We also have examples available to help guide you with using the PROFIBUS modules.  I encourage you to take a look at the examples we include with the cRIO PROFIBUS driver.  Additionally, please take a look at the getting started material we have available for PROFIBUS.  Let me know if you have any questions!

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,796 Views)