From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding the DNET device master to my labview project

Trying to add target and devices to my project.  Attempt to select DeviceNet Master Interface in the Add Targets and Devices window and get the error "A VI is running on the target.  Please stop the VI on the target and try the operation again."  I've tried closing and reopening the program, restarting the target and also re-installing the target software.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,961 Views)

Hi Justin,

Can you provide a MAX Technical Report of the software on your target?  Is your target running a Real-Time Operating System or a Windows OS?  Considering the target is in remote systems, I assume that you are running it on the RTOS.   What versions of software are you using?  Is there anything currently running on the target?  

Thanks!

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,942 Views)

Hi Matt, thanks for responding!

I'm attaching the technical report for my PXIe system.  I'm using the labview real-time 2011 SP1 and this is a remote system.  I do not have anything running on the target, I'll restart the real-time target and it will still say the same error message.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,938 Views)

Hi Justin,

Apologies for the late response.  I have taken a look at your report, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and it looks like the drivers are all correct.  I am not certain as to why you are experiencing this.  I'm going to try and replicate this later today.

I will let you know what else I find.  Thanks!

Matt S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,903 Views)

Great thank you! Please let me know what you find. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,897 Views)

Hi Justin,

I wanted to report back to you that I was unable to reproduce the issue on one of my PXI controllers.  I was able to successfully detect the card in both LabVIEW 2012 and LabVIEW 2013 SP1 with DeviceNet 2.2 and 2.3 respectively.  I did, however, reproduce this issue on a different PXI controller with LabVIEW 2013 SP1 and DeviceNet 2.3.  After re-installing the software on the PXI chassis I cleared up the error.  Additionally, this particular PXI controller that experienced the error will need to reformatted for other issues.  Were you able to detect this card before?  Were you successfully using DeviceNet 2.2 at any point?  A last ditch attempt would be to reformat the PXI controller.

Matt S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,882 Views)

Hi Matt,

I have never been able to successfully load the DNET master.  I just reformatted my PXIe target and re-installed all the software on it.  I still get the same error message.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,877 Views)

Hi Justin,

I've contacted my colleague who works a bit more directly with the team that works on this driver to see if he has any additional steps we can take.  He will be taking a look at this when he gets back from vacation (probably sometime tomorrow).  I apologize for the tardiness.  We are looking into this.  Thanks!

Matt S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,843 Views)

Hi Justin,

We have not been able to reproduce this error using LabVIEW 2013, DeviceNet 2.3 and PXI-8532.

I think you may try to remove other cards, and using this card alone, will it work then? 

As a workaround, there are newer APIs using which this function block can be avoided as opposed to the legacy VI APIs. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,829 Views)