From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Indian LabVIEW Users Group (IndLUG)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step progress bar control for UI

Solved!
Go to solution

I tried searching for a step progress bar (even tried making one). but making it through boolean and a normal progress bar was a disaster. finally tried it by drawing picture (as shown in example) its still not quite satisfactory. Do any one have a good control for a step progress bar? i need to show the total number of steps and the current step we are on.

Message 1 of 11
(9,970 Views)

Maybe you can try out these Progress Bar APIs by WireFlow. 

https://www.wireflow.com/products/software/wf-progress-bar/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(9,958 Views)

Scalable-Responsive-Progress-Bar.png

I think you may have misunderstood, the "Progress Bar APIs by WireFlow" enables to use windows progress bar, what i need is a step progress bar, as u you can see in the image. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(9,952 Views)

At the outset, Kudos! for your effort.

It's difficult to give precise suggestions without knowing the absolute must-haves vs nice-to-haves, and the version of LabVIEW being used. Also, keeping in mind that I'm a bit of a minimalist for UI-effort, please read on.

If your GUI must NOT look like a LabVIEW one, then the following possibilities come to mind:

• You could extend your approach to an XControl. I personally haven't used it due to the negative publicity it has received; and mostly because I have used other methods that are easier for oldies like me to understand and test.
  • Maintain image files for the different steps. Pre-load them into a variant dictionary via an Action Engine 'Initialize'. Use a 'Get' action with a step name to output the desired image. That image is then fed a 2d picture indicator. This approach is useful for 
    • Multi-language scenarios; where the image files can be organised by language name.
    • When the number of steps is needed to be configurable. A configuration file could be used to initialize the Action Engine.
  • Use a custom radio-buttons indicator with static images. (Is that what you were referring to in '...making it through boolean...'?)

If you don't have to worry about the LabVIEW-ness of the GUI, then consider a horizontal slide numeric indicator with text display. You could just use an enum (TypeDef?) to initialize the text AND to communicate the current step. Screen shot below...

horizontal slider.png

The following is just an idea. I don't know if it will even work... Use a .net web-container that displays a POSTable web page. With this, you can manipulate HTML, CSS & JS to your heart's content. Downside of this, is that you'll need to serve a web page through a service, even if it is local to the computer. POSTability will help one send the necessary Current Step value across from LabVIEW. There are tons of examples using this for the web. Example here.

All the best with your hunt for a better solution!

Message 4 of 11
(9,911 Views)

Thank you @Dhakkan for the elaborate description.

1. I do tried Xcontrol but i failed. (that's what i meant by saying i tried using boolean and slider). as the control still isn't reusable. for eg. number of steps have to be variable, current step have to be variable, and the screen which the control covers have to be constant either total steps are 2 or more.

2. Using 2D picture is by far have fetched the best desired result.

thank you for the advice on using configuration file. i will use that.

3. Radio buttons will not get the appropriate results.

4. As of using a slider with enum that i think is too "LabVIEW-ness for the GUI". i dont think it would look appropriate. i do need to work on the GUI to look good.

Kudos to you, i think i will work with 2D pictures only, might edit it a little more.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(9,899 Views)

Hi,

Your image method looks good.I tried something with XY  graphs.

bp
Message 6 of 11
(9,878 Views)

Hi Raj,

I have created one UI control with primitive features to match your need.

Check it out.

But was unable to place the Step Info (eg: Create Account, Login, etc,.)  exactly in the middle. Some work-around in the Text content helped.

Anyway check it out.

And if you have finished it already, please share your code for us to explore your idea.

Happy Coding 👍

Capture 2.PNG

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(9,827 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rajhelboy

Hellow Ashiq,

Well i was unable to open as i m still on labview 2014. 

I m using the same (using Picture Indicator) with little bit of modification. I made a calculation mistake in last one. i have attached the modified code for u to see.

Hope u can downgrade the version and re-post it thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(9,799 Views)

As of using Text i decided to remove it as it has many variable, length of text, then if length is high then placing a line feed in between etc.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(9,790 Views)

Hi Raj,

Here it is. Converted to LV14.

Your Picture UI is looking good 👌.

Message 10 of 11
(9,780 Views)