FlexLogger

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Insert Test Property Values into File Name

What I'd like to do, is have the file name auto populate from the "Test Properties".

For example, I have my dialogue box that asks each time "Item Number" and "Item Color". I'd type in "Seven" and "Blue". My file name would then be "Seven-Blue-Date/Time.tdms. I know these are stored and can easily be viewed via Diadem, but visible in the file name makes for easy sorting.

I'd like some sort of param code that allows me to insert whatever is typed in, into the file name just like you can do with "{Year}-{Month}-{Day}-{Hour}-{Minute}-{Second}.tdms"

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,878 Views)

My application would also benefit from this functionality! It's easy to forget to go into logging specifications and manually change the file name before starting the test and it's also not easy to identifty tests in a list of files that are all named the same. The old signal express had the option to prompt for a filename when you started logging, but structured file names based on custom fields would be more ideal.

Another user is also interested in this: https://forums.ni.com/t5/FlexLogger/Test-Properties-in-the-File-Name/m-p/3954069/highlight/true?prof...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,817 Views)

Hi JacobHermance and rdenham,

Thank you both for reaching out regarding this feature request for FlexLogger. We are always looking for feedback that can provide the users with a better overall experience/workflow.

When it comes to this request, I wanted to see if I can capture the outcome you are looking to achieve with a feature like this. Would you say this would allow you to minimize the time needed to find the data file for post-processing after the test? Or is there another outcome this feature would allow you to achieve? 

From the feature perspective, were you thinking this would be a single param code (i.e. {Example}) which then captures all of user-entered test properties or would you expect to see a single param code per user-entered test property?

Feel free to also send me an email at Tommy.glicker@ni.com if you would like to talk further about this feature.

Tommy G.
Product Manager - Search
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,791 Views)

Tommy,

I sent you an email. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,779 Views)

For us, that's exactly it, it would minimize the time needed to find the data file for post-processing after the test. It also allows us to open the correct file immediately (if we've forgotten to change the log name), rather than wait for a semi-random file to load and search through the TDMS frontmatter.

Optional single param code per-user entered test property would be great, along with date and time (i.e. {Year}-{Month}-{Day}-{Hour}-{Minute}-{Second} Development Test {userparam1} {Operator}). Where userparam1 and Operator are properties entered into the Logging Specifications > Test properties field.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,765 Views)

Hi rdenham,

Thanks for confirming this, it is helpful to know the outcome we would be addressing with any new features. This is something that we will definitely consider as a possible feature in the future especially as there are multiple requests for it. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Tommy G.
Product Manager - Search
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,746 Views)