FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fp1000 stand alone

Hi everybody!

First of all,I refer to this article:

Reading it, it seems that ONLY fp2000 can work as a stand alone.  I am willing to develop an application in which my fieldPoint module has to execute a task, and to communicate with a PC running Unix, that is there won't be LabView or CVI applications running on the server (my PC). The communication protocol will be custom....

So, I need to know if this is possible with fp1001 modules.

...in other words, I want my fp1001 to run an application  (developed in CVI, possibly....), including a communication (on request) with a server pc (unix, running a third-party application)....

thanks!!!!! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,305 Views)

FP1001/1001 are Serial network modules which use the Optomux protocol.  So, you should be able to, theoretically at least, write your app in any language and on any platform as long as it implements the Optomux Serial protocol.  Of course, LabVIEW makes all this easy.  You can turn your app into an EXE and run on Unix.  But you'll need the run-time engine, obviously.

Hope this gives you some ideas.. ciao!

-Khalid

Message 2 of 8
(4,296 Views)
Hi! And thanks for your reply but... I already knew it, and the problem is that I need field point to act as a
controller, that is to operate also without a PC, in fact in critical conditions FieldPoint bank should "make decisions"
itself, even if the PC connection is down/broken......

graziano
Message 3 of 8
(4,286 Views)

In that case you'll need the FP-20xx which can run embedded code.  Or the cFP controllers.

Sorry for misunderstanding your question.  Regards,

-Khalid

Message 4 of 8
(4,279 Views)
Graziano,
what you need to do is only possible if

- You consider using [c]FP-20xx, that is Intelligent Fieldpoint Controllers, that can run LV Realtime code onboard. This needs windows or MacOS at development time.
- You will be able to communicate with any machine out there by implementing a TCP/IP communication from the controller to a host application. In your case, on the Unix machine you will be running an application that is able to receive packets over TCP/IP and interpret them as needed.

Regards,

AlessioD
National Instruments
Message 5 of 8
(4,272 Views)
Hi and thanks everybody!

Your previous answers are  quite useful!

Anyway, In our developement task, we are forced to use the RS232, in the communication between cFP2020 (with embedded appl.) and Unix PC, so   we'd like to know exactly if it is possible to implement a particular protocol.

Thanks to anyone who's going tell us about this......

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,266 Views)

Same thing will apply for RS-232.

You must keep to the [c]FP-20xx controller. It will retrieve data from the FP Modules and you will need to implement a communication loop that sends data over the serial port.

Also, keep in mind that serial communication is not deterministic and this may be an heads-up point as far as RT applications go.

Cheers

AlessioD

Message 7 of 8
(4,264 Views)
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
   That's what I needed to know.

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,260 Views)