From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fieldpoint config and functions

Due to some reasons i had to shift from labview 8.2 to labview 7.1.

i installed fieldpoint 5.01 with labview 7.1 support. but MAX does not detect the field point hardware FP-1000, FP-TC-120 (2 of them). Could you please tell me what is wrong?

Right clicking data neighbourhood and clicking create new does not show me Fieldpoint hardware in the list.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(3,740 Views)

Hi Kunal227,

Are you working with this FP-1000 on the same computer, or is this a new computer?  Does it detect the FP-1000 and not the FP-TC-120s, or does it not detect anything at all?  You can try switching ports if you have more ports available.  Also you could try another serial cable, unless you know that one works for sure.

Regards,

Michael
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24
(3,715 Views)

Are you working with this FP-1000 on the same computer, or is this a new computer?  Does it detect the FP-1000 and not the FP-TC-120s, or does it not detect anything at all?  You can try switching ports if you have more ports available.  Also you could try another serial cable, unless you know that one works for sure.

i am working on a different pc and it does not have any extra serial ports

MAX does not detect the FP-1000 as well as the FP-TC-120.  i have a few other devices attached to the system

one is SCXI daq hardware and a pci-gpib card.  but the addresses are different.  these devices are detected and working.

i have tried the serial cable on other system and its working.

let me send you a pic of max may be it will give u more idea whats wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(3,710 Views)

this is the image i took of the MAX . i don't know how useful it might be.

when i right click the Data Neighbourhood>create new.         then it does not show the field point device int he list.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(3,710 Views)

Hi Kunal227,

Have you verified that your serial port on that computer works correctly?  You can try a loop back test to ensure that it is.  The procedure for a loop back test can be found in the second step in this document. If your serial port fails the loop back test, you can get a usb to serial converter to connect your FP-1000 to your computer.

Regards,

Michael
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 24
(3,695 Views)

it detected finally. i think something went wrong with the cable recently. it was working well before.

anyways thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(3,686 Views)
what happens if i select the 25 C or 0 C instead of internal for the cold junction temperature in MAX for fp-tc-120?
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(3,634 Views)
The cold junction temperature changes distinctly(22-25 degrees c) in a matter of 4 to 5 hours? I need to measure the temperature for a span of 12 hrs or more. This is causing problems in calibrating the device for temp measurement. Is there a way to keep the cj temp constant?

i am using FP-1000 and FP-tc-120 connected serially to my pc.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24
(3,628 Views)
Hi Kunal227,

If you chang the internal CJ temp constant to 25 or 0, that is where the CJC is referenced from.  So it should be constant, but you then you have to take into account that the temperatures are being referenced from.  Here is the excerpt from the FP-TC-120 manual  page 8.

The default setting is for the [c]FP-TC-120 to enable cold-junction

compensation for all temperature measurements. To disable this

feature and use a software algorithm instead, set the

CJC Source

attribute of the CJ Temperature channel to either 0 or 25 °C.

Selecting one of these settings causes the [c]FP-TC-120 to assume

a cold-junction temperature of either 0 or 25 °C for all temperature

readings. Regardless of the setting of the CJC Source attribute, CJ

Temperature continues to reflect the actual measured temperature

of the terminal base or connector block. This method of software

cold-junction compensation is sufficient for applications in which

temperatures are fairly stable and uniform across the system.

Regards,

Michael
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(3,618 Views)
i do not have a compact fieldpoint device it is just FP-TC-120.   if i measure the voltage will it be the same?
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24
(3,617 Views)