FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time server protocol for Fieldpoint?

I recently upgraded from LabVIEW 6.1 to 7, and my FP-2000 is drifting badly in time. The host that I used for developing and downloading for 6.1 had the Logos servers, and acted as the time server for the FP-2000. That host, in turn, used our University's time server to set itself. Everything worked fine this way. Now with LabVIEW 7, the Logos server is gone so it appears that my development host can no longer be a time server. I noticed the FP-2000 clock drifting off, so I configured it to use the University's time server, but it doesn't seem to be working. It is off by about 20 minutes now. Do the FP units use a standard protoclol for setting the time? Are there any details available?

Rich Swent
Stanford University
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,164 Views)
Hi,

The Logos Time Service is still the time provider for LabVIEW 7 and the new version of FieldPoint Software 4.0. So, as long a you have set the Time Server in MAX you should have the FieldPoint hardware sinchronizing with the Time Server machine.

Make sure you have in the University's timer server machine the same version of FieldPoint software as you have installed on the FieldPoint controller, if the versions match and the University's Timer Server IP address is correctly set through MAX you will obtain the desired result.

I hope it helps

Andre Oliveira
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,164 Views)
I have a cFP-2020 and I experienced a drift from the time server as well. I found that over a period of about 30 seconds that the cFP clock would lose approximately 6 seconds. Then the cFP would synchronize with my time server. I switched from using the Get Date/Time VI to using the Get Tick Count VI and that improved significantly. I guess the two VIs get their time from different sources? I wrote a subVI that uses the tick count and adds that to an initialized time. The vi also looks for the synchroization with the time server and so adds the cumulative difference to my initialized time at the time of each synchronization. Essentially I am getting the best of the Get Tick Count VI as the primary timekeeper, but then I'm even ensuring that the that VI is
keeping in synch with the time server.

Hope that helps,
Eric Jordan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,164 Views)