FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read IP address from iak file

Hello,

I have several cfp-1804 modules connected and functioning properly.  I would like to programatically read the IP address for each module from the *.iak file or maybe from MAX.  I want to be able to determine the IP address within my LabVIEW program even if the modules are disconnected or powered off.

Thanks.  Corey

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,910 Views)

Hi Corey,

If you're using a LabVIEW Project, you can read in the .aliases file to grab the IP Address.  This file holds target information for things like shared variables, FieldPoint targets, etc.

Other than that, if you have LabVIEW Real-Time available, you can use the RT Utilities palette (Get Target Information VI) or RT System Replication Tools (versions prior to 2009) to programmatically retrieve IPs for all connected targets.

Can you tell me why you would need the IP Address if the device isn't connected? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,897 Views)

I am using the LabVIEW project and after looking at the .aliases file I see the IP address.  I think that will work for me.  Thanks.

The modules frequently get disconnected from the network or power is removed.  I want the IP address so I can Ping the modules to determine if they are connected.  I didn't want to hard code in the IP address, so that is why I wanted to pragmatically read it.  Currently, I try to read a value from the cfp-1804 to determine connection status.  This works, but it takes a long time (up to 30 seconds) if the unit is disconnected.  I also have experienced an issue where I can disconnect the network cable, but am still able to get a reading from the cfp module.  I've read that this is possible because the data is cached locally.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,891 Views)