FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with multiple FieldPoint items in Data Neighborhood

Hi Folks,

First I should state this has been a re-occuring problem, but today brought it to focus because I started from a somewhat clean slate.

In general I am formatting, configuring, and deploying 7 identical (isolated/seperate) cFP-2010's.

From within MAX (v4.5):

1) started with a clean IAK file to use for all controllers.

2) set the DIP to Safe Mode, configured the static IP, etc

3) formatted target

4) Installed NI's "Blue/Gold Ribbon" RT (6.0.1 IIRC) package to the controllers. Latest firmware FWIW.

5) Rebooted, and using NI's Replication tool, imaged the device.

Where I run into trouble:

6) On the first, say, three controllers, when I did a 'Find Devices', I ended up with a NEW Fieldpoint folder under Data Neighborhood. I renamed some channels, saved profusely, etc, basically ensure the Remote system was 'linked' to the FieldPoint item. All my prior targets and FieldPoint items remained (albeit greyed).

7) On the next several, when I did a 'Find Devices', it was already linked to a previous FieldPoint item. The only way to get it to re-add it was to remove the item and then re-find.

Can someone explain the inconsistent behavior? Any insite?

Thanks,

Jamie

v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,519 Views)

Hi,

What do you exactly mean "it was already linked to a previous FieldPoint item"?  Was there a target already under FieldPoint Items with the same name?

Justin Parker
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,489 Views)

Hi Justin,

At first, when I would 'Find Devices' under my connected target, I would get a prompt asking to name the FieldPoint item (default being something like FP@172.16.1.2). This occured for the first three or four seperate cFP-2010's : I would end up with a unique 'FieldPoint' Items folder for each individual target. However in some instances, when I would 'Find Devices', it would immediately bring cursor focus back to a previously linked 'FieldPoint Item', from another/previous cFP-2010.

I use the verbage 'linked', because when I do a 'Go To Comm Resources Configuration' or 'Go to Items Configuration', it would go to/from DataNeighborhood/Remote Systems.

How does MAX link the Item Configuration to a Comm Resource? Is it a unique ID within the target?

V/R,

Jamie

v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,475 Views)
Also worth mentioning: after adding a DeviceConfiguration (result of Find Devices), I immediately renamed the Device Configuration to something unique.
v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,474 Views)

Hi Jamie,

I have been able to reproduce the behavior you are seeing.  The FieldPoint items are linked to the IP address that you gave them, and if you 'Find Devices' for a device that has the same IP address a previously linked 'FieldPoint Item' will open.  

The workaround is double checking the IP address of your FieldPoint controller before you 'Find Devices'.  If it is the same as one under 'FieldPoint Items' change it to something different.  I'm going to make a product suggestion that they use the serial number or MAC address instead.  You can do the same here.

Justin Parker
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,440 Views)

Thank you - I would agree with associating by MAC address.

In my case there is no real work-around, as the IP address it the same for all targets (laptop->cFP2010 is done by peer-peer network via cross-over cable).

Thanks!

Jamie

v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,437 Views)