FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Activation problem after installing DS software

Solved!
Go to solution

I installed the Driver Station update on my personal computer that had Windows 7 Professional. During the installation, a window popped up that a new product key was installed. See the attached picture. Immediatly after the installation finished, Windows complained about not being genuine, and I had to re-enter my Windows 7 product key and reactivate. I was able to repeat the process and have the same result.

Why is the Driver Station installer messing with the Windows Product Key? Luckily I had my product key handy, it could really mess someone up if it they had lost their product key.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,625 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sciencewhiz

Hi sciensewhiz,

When did you download the Driver Station update? We originally had a version of the installer posted that modified the Windows Product Key because this year's classmates were missing the key. However, we took that installer down and replaced it with one that would not modify the key.

If you look at the files from the web download, is the date modified for the setup.ini 1/6/2011 or 1/5/2011? If the date is 1/5/2011 that is the old installer. However, if the date is 1/6/2011, please let us know because the installer should no longer be modifying the Windows Product Key.

~Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,263 Views)

I had the version from 1/5. Since I downloaded all the updates on 1/5, did anything else change?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,263 Views)

Nope, the Driver Station update was the only one that has changed since 1/5.

~Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,263 Views)

I downloaded the optional update from 2/27 on my classmate and it said it installed the product key. Did this version reintroduce that feature?

I'm a little worried about installing it on my own computer because of that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,263 Views)