FIRST Robotics Competition Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Machine Name of an Axis IP Camera

If you are using an Axis Ethernet camera, you may have noticed that by default the camera is referred to by a name instead of an IP address in the Vision Processing VI as shown below.

Snippet Community Example.png

However, running the Vision Processing VI this way often leads to an error.

Explain Error.png

This could be either because the name of the camera has not been configured, or because the camera and the roboRIO are not connected to a network switch.

Name Has Not Been Configured

You can configure the name of an Axis camera from its web interface by typing the IP address in a browser window. In the web interface, go to the “Setup” screen and log into an administrator account on the camera (by default, the username should be root and the password should be blank).

Setup Axis.png

If you are asked to assign a password to the camera, remember to write it down somewhere for later use! From here navigate to the TCP/IP settings, and choose the “advanced TCP/IP settings” option at the bottom.

TCPIP Axis.png

Advanced TCPIP Axis.png

Under the “Host Name Configuration” section, choose the option to input a custom name and enter it in the “Use the host name:” field.

Use the host name.png

Now, you should be able to go into the Vision Processing VI and use the name you have given the camera to look up the device, rather than the IP address. At this point you should also be able to bring up the image on the FRC Dashboard.

Not Connected to a Network Switch

In order for the camera to have its IP address associated with a string name, it has to be connected to a Domain Name System (DNS) server. This server contains a table that links the name to the camera’s IP address and provides the functionality for translating between the two. If the camera and the roboRIO are both connected to the internet through a network switch, they will have access to a DNS server and this will allow you to identify the camera by name. However, if the camera is directly connected to the roboRIO it will not have the proper resources to look up the camera’s IP address from its name. Once the camera’s name has been configured through the web interface, you can connect both the roboRIO and the camera to a network switch with Ethernet cables to begin using the name in your LabVIEW code.

Comments
sciencewhiz
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

The name change is also required for the image to show up on the dashboard.

sforsyth
on

I have tried several times with fresh starts each time and I just can't get the dashboard to not return the camera not found error. I have gone through several tutorials all telling me the same things, I do the following:

1) Reset the camera

2) use the camera assistant that came with this years software and it finds the camera and I hit the Apply button and it says it has set the camera up.

3) Go to the camera via browser and create new admin password.

4) Go to the Advanced TCP/IP settings and click on the radio button for Use the host name and enter axis-camera

No workie

so question, I see in the vision code, that the first constant is set to axis-camera.local, I believe that is an ipv6 thing, I have not seen anything about changing the camera to ipv6. Could that be the problem? Is everyone else not having an issue with connecting to the camera?

I know the camera works fine because I can see the image in the web console for the camera.

sassyaspy
on

Edited to include this, thank you sciencewhiz!

sassyaspy
on

Hey sforsyth,

How is your camera connected to the network? Is it directly connected to the roboRIO, or is it connected to a network switch/router? If you haven't already, I would definitely post a discussion to the FRC forums about that: https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/academic/student_competitions/frc?view=discussions

Have a great day!

sassyaspy

Contributors