From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW FRC install Failure

We have not been able to install LabVIEW FRC 2012. 

1. I am running Vista 64 Business (all my lab computers have it on them).

2. I completely uninstalled the failed install (from the USB Card provided by FRC/LabVIEW)

3. I deleted all references to NI VISA from the Harddrive (including National Insturment Folders in both Program Files and Program Files(x86)) and the registry and attempted a new install - it failed

4. I attempted to use the "Remove VISA" executable (It says its not needed for Vista).

How can I get the software installed - we have wasted in excess of 24 hours in attempting everything to get it installed.

Attached is the error messages I receive during install and upon completion of failed install - PLEASE - CAN SOMEONE HELP?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(14,025 Views)

Hey,

First off I would never recommend uninstalling software by deleting files from the hard drive or the registry. Its pretty easy to get into unknown states when you do things this way instead of using the uninstallers. I have seen the installation errors you are running into when old versions of LabVIEW with the FTC toolkit are installed. The issue is usually fixed by removing all instances of NI-VISA by using the Add/Remove Programs tool and reinstalling from the USB. I am not sure this method will work in this situation due to the method of uninstall.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(4,149 Views)

We did a complete NI Uninstall prior to attempting to install the FRC version. I have an extensive background in Windows and have resorted to regedit as a last resort in attempting to get a successful install.  Likewise, we have uninstalled it from two other computers and didn’t do any regedit –they failed as well.

Again, I’m running Vista 64 Business and I suspect there is something in Vista causing the issue. 

I know there have been at least four attempts to install the software and in each case a complete uninstall was performed after the failure.

We also tried installing the separate components that failed – that didn’t work either.

I’m at a loss as to how to proceed and would greatly appreciate any assistance I can get.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(4,149 Views)

I moved to a Windows 7 Laptop (Home Premium Edition) and attempted to install the FRC LabVIEW.  When it went to the install of the second part (Realtime) an error popped that said setup.exe has quit working - do you want to shut down the program.  I answered no and it continued with the install.  When it reached the NI-RIO part it did the same thing (the same error popped up)

I found the post from Kevin_F about installing an eval copy of LabVIEW 2011 and all the parts needed and then install the updates.  I tried that and it failed in the same places.  How are we to get this software installed?

Will Someone Please HELP?

Bernie Henze

Sapulpa High School

3 S Mission

Sapulpa, OK 74066

bhenze@sapulpaps.org

918-224-6560 ex 2095

918-430-8305

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(4,149 Views)

Hey Bernie,

This is unusual behavior for the installers if you have tried multiple machines and software from a download and the USB. I think the most likely candidate is antivirus software preventing a proper installation. Additionally are you running the setup as an administrator (right click->Run as Administrator). Do you have Measurement and Automation Explorer(MAX) installed on the computers (it should get installed in the first part of the installation with LabVIEW). If so open MAX and select File-> create report and create a Technical Report and attach it to this forum.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(4,149 Views)

Okay, I ran MAX.  It asked what files I wanted to check and add them to the browser.  As I didn't know what files in particular, I just did next.  It ran a report and I've attached the zip file created.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(4,149 Views)

One more piece of information I finally figured out.  Each computer we tried to install the FRC software had had FTC LabVIEW installed previously. Eventhough I did a complete uninstall (as administrator) it still left something that the new install didn't like.  It caused the Realtime module and the NI-RIO module to fail during the installation attempt.

This is going to be something NI going to have to figure out, because tracking down where software leaves stuff behind is well beyond my pay-grade.

PLEASE HELP US OUT!

Bernie Henze

Sapulpa High School

3 S Mission

Sapulpa, OK 74066

bhenze@sapulpaps.org

918-224-6560 ex 2095

918-430-8305 (cell)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,149 Views)

Hey Bernie,

I did notice that from the MAX techinical report that there was a previous installation of the LabVIEW for Lego Mindstorms toolkit. I do think this is the issue documented here:http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B4BF3B96988453B98625728100009670. You did the uninstall of the Lego Mindstorms driver as described and still saw the issue? We have fixed this issue going forward with the LabVIEW for Lego Mindstorms version of LabVIEW which works side by side with regular software installations.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,149 Views)

I finally got all the parts installed through loading the individual parts on a Win 7 laptop.  However, I need license IDs for the products other than LabVIEW.  Where do I get these?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(4,149 Views)

You will need to run the FRC License installer off of the USB Drive - it will bundle together all the individual licenses into a single FRC Robotics Liscense. You just need to hit install everything off of the USB and then from the list of products you can select to run just the FRC License Installer

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(4,149 Views)