FIRST Robotics Competition Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Systems Advisor Information

Please note that the content contained in this document is out-of-date for the current competition season. Please feel free to use it as a reference moving forward.

This will be a living document where we'll be keeping track of issues with the robot control system that we see coming up at the regional events. Hopefully this will be helpful for the Control System Advisors that are heading out to events each week. The online training given on February 24th, 2011 is attached with notes.

[Mar 8th, 2011: Updated the training to add a few extra issues that came up during Week 1 of Regionals and added a list of what to include on a thumbdrive on slide 26]

[Mar 22nd, 2011: Added additional troubleshooting steps if the robot or the Driver Station has trouble connecting to the field]

Comments
sciencewhiz
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

For Driver Station won't connect to field: If the team is using their own computer as a driver station, make sure the username they are logged into is "Driver"

For robot acts differently on field: Verify all electrical connections are tight. Robots get jostled on the field much worse then in the pits or on the practice field

If the RSL paterns do not match the ones on the slide, make sure the outer two pins on the RSL are jumpered

If PWM operation is intermittant, verify the Digital Sidecar is powered from 12v from the PDB. It can almost run off leakage current, but will have intermittant operation. Also verify it isn't powered by the camera 5v supply.

It would probably be good to mention the problems in the robot framework fixed in the LabVIEW updates. If a team started a project with the original update 3.0, they won't have the fixes. The two I know about are the DIO not opened in begin so the line tracking doesn't work, and the LED toggle rate not being set, leading to a watchdog error before enabling telop.

If you have the updates on a memory stick, make sure the stick is read only. If not, it will probably pick up a virus.

on

Is it me, or on slide 17 about imaging the cRIO; does it say to connect though a router?

Doesn't like everywhere else advise to use ethernet cord?  Also it mentions to tun off wireless, but with the new bridge some teams just connect directly with thier laptop.

Also, on slide 28, the part about a headset to connect to pit admin.  I've never heard of doing that at a FIRST cometition.  Is that new this year?

Also, as a tag on what sciencewhiz said, we had issues with our PWM even though everything looked right, what happened was that the negative connection came loose so it ran like only one side of our splitters meaning half our motors didnt work.

sciencewhiz
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

43803490 wrote:

Is it me, or on slide 17 about imaging the cRIO; does it say to connect though a router?

Doesn't like everywhere else advise to use ethernet cord?  Also it mentions to tun off wireless, but with the new bridge some teams just connect directly with thier laptop.

Also, on slide 28, the part about a headset to connect to pit admin.  I've never heard of doing that at a FIRST cometition.  Is that new this year?

It's actually better to reimage the cRIO through a wired switch (ie the switch built into the dlink bridge), that way the computer doesn't lose ethernet link during the reimaging process. This can cause problems for some network cards. It shouldn't be reimaged wirelessly, but plugged into the dlink bridge.

The headset only applies for CSAs, since they volunteer at the event helping teams and pit admin needs to let them know who needs help. It's not for teams.

sciencewhiz
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

The following thread on chiefdelphi has a lot of tips from previous events: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93240

sciencewhiz
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Every robot I've seen this year has the fast flashing RSL {2, 2} fast Error (packet loss, team ID). I can't imagine that every team has an error. What does this really mean?

Contributors