Example Code

Read and Write BLF Files

Products and Environment

This section reflects the products and operating system used to create the example.

To download NI software, including the products shown below, visit ni.com/downloads.

Programming Language

• LabVIEW G

Code and Documents

Attachment

Description

Overview

Read and write BLF binary files using the Vector provided DLL, or a more Raw API using the zLib Inflate/Deflate. 

Description

Vector has a custom binary file format used primarily for logging raw CAN data.  When using a Vector product such as CANalyzer, a log can be done in ASCII which baloons the file size but has the most compatibility, or you can log in BLF which is a small binary file, which also has some level of object compression built in.  With this API you can now read these BLF files and get the raw CAN frames in a form that is similar to the XNet frame structure, allowing for easy conversion using the XNet API.  You can also use this API to perform the reverse function.  Where you may want to log into a BLF file, so that Vector tools like CANalyzer can analyze and view your data.

All the core functions are implemented by calling the Vector provided DLL, which is documented online and has a shipped example installed with CANalyzer.  There is an alternate API that also allows for reading and writing BLF files by not using the Vector DLL and instead uses the OpenG zip utility.

Hardware and Software Requirements

Back saved into LabVIEW 2014 (version 2) or LabVIEW 2017 for version 3, and requires the Windows platform for executing the binlog.dll.  Version 7 is saved in 2018 and has an example of both the DLL version and the Raw version which requires the OpenG zip package.  The OpenG zip method works on all platforms that API supports, and is much faster than the DLL method.

Steps to Implement or Execute Code

The external dependencies are referenced with the Package Dependency.vipc file.  Once those packages are installed through VIPM, open either of the examples and run them to write and read a file.

Untitled.png

Additional Information or References

Version History

Version 7

• Bug fix with uncommon object types
  • Added IDs To Return filtering on the Raw Read function

Version 6

• Made reading more robust supporting other objects like System Variables in the BLF.

Version 5

• Added a secondary API for reading and writing using the OpenG zip utilities.
  • Added reading and writing CAN FD frames

Version 4

• When writing to a BLF the day light savings flag is used and will offset the write by an hour if necessary
  • Object Offset was removed and instead before every read the Object Offset is read from the session.  This is used instead of tracking the current offset since it had issues with newer CANalyzer files

Version 3

• Bug fix with the Read CAN Frames.vi which now accepts reading CAN_MESSAGE2 which newer Vector tools may write to
  • Fixed Read CAN Frame.vi to return an ID masking out the 29 bits for extended, not 27

Version 2

• Back saved to 2014
  • Added CAN Channel input and output to the Read and Write functions

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
on

Thanks for sharing!

on

Hi Hooovah! would it be possible a version for earlier labview versions? I am running 2014 SP1 and this VIs would be very useful.

Thanks

Proven Zealot Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

New version added that is saved in 2014.  In using this API I realize that the CAN Channel is an input and output that I found useful so I added this.  With this input you can write a CAN frame as from CAN 1 or CAN 2 and then in CANalyzer you can associate two different DBCs to each CAN Channel.  When reading you will also get an array of Channels, along with the array of frames.

on

Thank you so much!

on

It does not work for me, it seems like it doesn´t work in a 64 bit platform. Could that be the problem?

Proven Zealot
on

What doesn't work?  Give some more details on the result of running the included example program.  I developed it and tested it on Windows 7 x64 using LabVIEW 2015 SP1 32-bit.

on

It is not able to load the dll. My labview version is 2014 SP1 64 bit. I guess the problem is that I would need a 32 bit version of labview.

Thanks for the help.

Proven Zealot
on

It seems you are right.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6059E812DFC60ED486257640007B5DAF

The DLL provided by Vector is 32-bit only.  We can either beg Vector to release a 64 bit version (unlikely), you can look into WOW emulation to run 32 bit binaries in a 64 bit environment (no clue the difficulty), you can use 32 bit LabVIEW, or you can look into re-writing the API using pure G removing the DLL call.  Owning LabVIEW means you have access to both 32 and 64 bit environments and that would probably be the easiest.

When I wrote this API I did start down the path of reading and writing BLF files using pure G and not calling their DLL.  The file format is somewhat documented, and I figured I could reverse it enough to come up with something.  But I figured whatever I would come up with probably wouldn't work in all situations and would have a fair bit more bugs so I just resorted to calling their DLL.

on

hi,boy,It seems you lost an important parameter when wrapper the DLL, "Channel Index", as its result, my app can not disguinish the Channels when the messages were received ,the are all "Channel 1".  I suggest you release the access to set the channel when wrapper ithhhhh.png

on

Hooovahh has done a fantastic job here (and on his CAN blog!), but I found a few issues:

1) Using the offset when loading from a blf file didn't work for me

2) CAN frames read from a blf file created by newer versions of CANalyzer were not recognized

3) Extended CAN frames read from a blf file returned the wrong ArbID (applied a 27-bit mask instead of a 29-bit mask if the object indicated it was an extended frame)

4) CAN channel for the frame was not indicated

See attached snapshots for the suggested changes (seems to work for me).

c1.PNGc2.PNG

Proven Zealot
on

For some reason I'm not getting email notifications on this so sorry I didn't see the older message.

@alii001 - You are looking at the older version.  Version 2 adds CAN Channel to be written and read.  To avoid confusion I'll remove some older versions.

@labviewman - Similarly your issue 4 was fixed in Version 2 with reading and writing CAN Channels.  Issues 2 and 3 are totally valid, thanks for catching it I'll be updating it here and on my blog. 

Issue 1 I don't fully understand and I feel like it needs more investigating.  Maybe it is something to do with a change to the BLF format over the years, and a newly written one handles object offsets differently.  I won't be changing this in my release yet because I don't understand it and it seems to be working on the test files I create.  I hope you can understand that the code reads the current object position, then adds to that value the number of objects read and sets that to the new read position.  When reading a large file it is often useful to read in chunks like 1000 frames at a time and between reads to update a progress bar, or poll for a cancel.  If we need to read an object at an offset, we only have two ways to change the object position.  We can set the current object to 0 by closing and reopening, or we can skip the current object until we are at the offset we want to read.  So I have code to keep track of the current object position between reads, so that a read of the next 1000 frames, won't require setting offset to 0 and then skipping until we get to the new offset.  It is possible you have a problem with your code, or with the BLF, or it is some change I'm unfamiliar with in the BLF file.  The change you made I believe will have it always invoke the skip.  So if you read 1000 frames, then read the next 1000, it would reset to 0, and invoke the skip 1000 times.  I'm glad it works for you but it can be inefficient for large files to have to keep resetting.

on

Hey Hooovahh!

Regarding #1 (Using the offset when loading from a blf file didn't work for me), I spent most of the day yesterday working the issue...I certainly could have made a mistake and will be the first to admit it Smiley Happy

I ran a test this morning with a blf file created with CANalyzer 11.047 SP1 (64 bit) where I collected 10,377 frames. When I used rev 2 of the blf vis w/o the offset mod I suggested, I was only able to read 1,746 frames. Using the suggested offset change, I read all 10,377 frames.  Also, if you insert "Get File Statistics.vi" after "Read CAN Frames_File.vi" that does not have the suggested offset mod, I read the same frames as the suggested offset mod (w/o "Get File Statistics").

I also modified the code to output the offset after each read, which is then plotted. Should be a linear line.

*New issue/question: I wrote the same frames I read with the offset fix then read them back with the offset fix...I get close to the same timestamps, but they are off by 1 hour and several 10s of microseconds. I didn't spend much time looking into this but changing the value passed into Header.Object Flags and modifying the divisor for resolution in "Write CAN Frame.vi" had no affect.

111.PNG222.PNG

Proven Zealot
on

There is something wrong for sure, but resetting the offset to 0 each time doesn't seem like the right solution, because as I mentioned before, reading 1000 frames at a time means, skipping an addition 1000 frames each time, instead of picking up where it left off at the last read.  I'd expect read times for the second method to be much longer than the other two.  It is also odd that by just adding the read position offset, the code works as expected.  I only have access to CANalyzer 8 at the moment. 

As for the hour off it is a problem with day light savings time.  6 months out of the year it would look fine.  The fix is in the Set Measurement Start Time.vi.  Unbundle the DST output and subtract the hour if it is a 1.  Update will be posted soon, but I think there could be a bug in reading a file written by another application.  The Read File Statistics.vi should be setting the DST flag for the start time and last object and I'm unsure what issues will come up with not setting it.

I've decided to just do away with the object position since it is having issues on some file types.  Instead it will just read its offset on a read each time, and determine what to do based on that.  The update will remove that data type from the class and all references to it.

on

Are you referring to the offset getting reset to zero, close the file, re-open...the section of code below? If so, that doesn't happen...the number I'm passing-in is an offset based off of the start of the file, thus, the (ObjectReadPosition<=Offset) check is always true because the offset I'm passing in is always larger than the current object offset.

I can e-mail you a log file from CANalyzer 11 if that helps (I have your e-mail address).

I'll take a look at your suggestion for DST.

Regarding writing a blf file, I suggest changing the timestamp resolution to 1 nano-second resolution...maybe the 10 usec resolution was there for a reason?  See attached.

As always, thanks for your support in all things CAN Hooovahhh!

BTW, NI isn't notifying me about post updates either...

aaa.PNGas.PNG

on

Thanks for sharing.

I couldn't find the version 5.

I'd appreciate it if you could send it by email.// (sjjp7738@naver.com)

Proven Zealot
on

Sorry it somehow didn't get attached I've updated the post.

on

Thanks for the update, I use the version 5, and everythink works for me.

It would be great to add a function to read only an ID.

I tried to modify code but it doesn't work.

I have some data and very big  file (800Mb), and it's too long to convert all signal from the blf file. I need to select only ID that I would like to analyse.

Could you help me to add this function ?

Thnaks in advance.

Proven Zealot
on

With help from @ThomasMuller I've uploaded version 7 which improves the raw BLF reading features to the point where I think the DLL method might not be needed soon.  It adds robustness and bug fixes to the reading of objects, but also adds an IDs to Return input which will only return CAN IDs that match those IDs.  Keep in mind that this filtering takes place after the Search Offset and Length.  This means that returning no Frames does not necessarily mean the end of the file has been reached.  Use the End Of File output for that.

on

Does this also work with a LIN frame, or are further adjustments necessary?

Contributors