Example Code

FPGA Linear Interpolate Table Output

Code and Documents

Attachment

This project is for an FPGA and allows a host to put table value/time pairs on the FPGA, and then have the FPGA maintain a linear interpolation between the points, with high precision timing of the analog outputs, digital outputs, and outputing this with a wave that can be up to 10 hours long without repeating.

If the intention is to create a repeating wave like a sine, or sawtooth, this is not the project for you.  This was designed for electrical testing, where an output needs to follow a table of values.  These values on the table can be paused, stopped, manually manipulated, and looped.

The code is currently saved in 2011, and compilied for a PCI-7831R card.  I have changed the target to a 7841R and it also comiled without any issues so I susupect any FPGA that supports analog outputs should have no problem compiling.

Limitations

• The table of times and values only has 1024 points.
  • The times for the analog and digital values are shared.  Meaning there is only one table for time and that must correspond to the analog and the digital values
  • AO0, DO0, and DO1 are the outputs that can be controled using the timing table.
  • The analog input is relativly slow at 100KHz and cannot be much faster without increasing the FIFO buffer size.
  • The time table resolution is down to the microsecond
  • The analog output table resolution is down to the millivolt, but the actual output has more resolution then that
  • The table of times cannot exceed 10 hours (36 Billion microseconds)

Speed

• The analog output loop rate runs around 336KHz.
  • The digital output loop rate runs around 2.8MHz.
  • The U64 Timer for the analog/digital output loops runs around 2.8MHz
  • The analog input loop rate runs at 1KHz.

FPGA Output.png

In the image above I tied my AO0 to my AI0 so I could sample my output I was generating.  Notice how the FPGA determined what the output value should be between the points.

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Contributors