Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I wait for the ICP curent to settle when starting acceleration measurements using a NI PCI-4474 card?

When using  ICP accelerometers for dynamic signal measurements, I understand that it takes a little while for the ICP current to settle.  Is there a way to start the ICP current and then start the data acquisition after the ICP current has had time to stablize?  I've currently been throwing away the first measurement, but I have noticed that I need to change the number of measurements that I discard based on my measurement time record length.  It seems like I should be able to start the ICP current, allow time for it to settle, and then start my measurement.  I'm using a Labview 8 with a NI PCI-4474 card and PCB IEPE accelerometers.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Ken
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,896 Views)
The IEPE excitation will be applied when the task is committed. After you have set the timing, you can perform an explicit commit on the AI task, and then wait for a few seconds (however long it takes the sensors to settle) before starting the task. The attached example shows how this is implemented with the DAQmx VIs. You can add your additional logic to only perform a wait on the first run of the VI or after IEPE has been turned off (different task that does not explicitly maintain IEPE on those channels, power down, etcetera). As your experience indicates, you do not need to wait for IEPE and AC coupling to settle if they are already enabled when you initialize your measurement task.
Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,885 Views)
Doug,

Thank you for your reply and the example vi.  The information you provided was exactly what I was needing.

Thank you,
Ken
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,854 Views)