Distributed Control & Automation Framework (DCAF)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was DCAF or MCM used as the basis for the InsightCM product

I have been drooling over the InsightCM software but it is a total overkill for my application which is a low speed high channel count client server environmental monitoring (temp mostly) system.  What I am searching for is something like a InsightCM lite functionality with all of the cool cRIO connectivity and client server TDMS management but without all of the CM rotational bells and whistles.  So my question is would DCAF be a good starting point for building something like that?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,899 Views)

Answering your question in the title, DCAF was not used as the foundation for InsightCM. Let me take some time to highlight the main differences.

InsightCM has an emphasis on waveform data for monitoring applications while DCAF focuses on current-value (or Tag) data with a stronger emphasis on control applications. InsightCM provides cRIO personalities that can be customized, and server-side software for managing large fleets of controllers and the data that they generate. DCAF provides a plugin framework for building your own unique cRIO executables which allow users to leverage those plugins across multiple applications.

Technically it would be possible to build a cRIO personality with DCAF that shares data with the InsightCM server, but the Tag nature of DCAF and their independent configuration environments likely limit the number of good use-cases for this.

Depending on your data update rate (ideally slower than 1kHz) and the amount of functionality present in this list , DCAF could be a good fit for your application. It won't have any of the TDMS data management features that you'd get from InsightCM though.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if there are specific questions that we can answer to help inform this decision.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,876 Views)