Distributed Control & Automation Framework (DCAF)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus Module - old API?

I've installed the Decaf Modbus Module from the tools network and the Modbus API from the tools network.

The Modbus module is missing some VIs and it looks like it is pointing to a different Modbus API than the one that I found on the tools network.

Specifically, I'm missing VI's from vi.lib\NI\Modbus Library\API\Modbus API.lvclass where as the Modbus API version that I have installed to: vi.lib\Modbus\subvis\Modbus API

Also - it's not just a location issue. I pointed to the new class and it's missing several VIs.

Any idea what package you all used?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,903 Views)

This is a bit of a long story as to why, but the short answer is that we used the Modbus Library posted on NI Labs and not the version that shipped with LabVIEW 2014+. The Labs version is published on tools network and should have been included as a dependency of the module. I'm not sure why it wasn't installed automatically for you. It has been on my various test installs.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30140

Modbus Screenshot.PNG

It is called 'NI Modbus Library' and it installs to vi.lib/NI/Modbus Library instead of vi.lib/Modbus

The short version for why is that this version modbus was something that we could use in LabVIEW 2013. It also isn't password protected and its source can more easily be modified if needed. The downside to using it is that it isn't officially supported.

Let me know if you have questions or run into issues after installing the right package.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,548 Views)

I think that I know what happened.

I have a LOT of packages comming and going right now as I'm installing things, doing dev work, building source distros/packages, clearing out installed packages and then testing released versions.

VIPM saw the correct version of NI Modbus Library as being installed but the files weren't actually there because I had manually purged that directory a bit ago. I thought that I also uninstalled/reinstalled appropriately.

Thanks for the quick response! It was helpful for resolving my issue.

michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,548 Views)