From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Distributed Control & Automation Framework (DCAF)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCAF Scaling Module Crashing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

On loading the DCAF scaling module using Labview 2017 32-bit, the module crashes and freezes the configuration editor.  Please see attached screen grab.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,149 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bdiesel

Instead of adding the Scaling module in the Other category, try adding the Polynomial Scale under Utilities. The Scaling module you are using is under <vi.lib>/NI/DCAF Templates, which is not a default search path, and looks to be more of an abstract scaling class.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2 of 5
(4,139 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

Instead of adding the Scaling module in the Other category, try adding the Polynomial Scale under Utilities. The Scaling module you are using is under <vi.lib>/NI/DCAF Templates, which is not a default search path, and looks to be more of an abstract scaling class.

Ah okay, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,137 Views)

Hi Bruce,

To give some color, there is the Polynomial Scaling module and the Scaling Framework.  The Scaling Framework is an abstract class that provides most of the UI and runtime elements needed for many kinds of scales.  The Polynomial Scaling module provides the specific scale configuration page in the editor and the specific scaling operation at runtime.  If you wanted to make a different kind of scale (RTD, look up table, etc) you can do so by just inheriting from the Scaling Framework module and overriding only the pieces that you need to change.

The Scaling Framework module should never be included in a configuration, since it is only 80% of a functioning module.  This is why it installs to DCAF Templates, not DCAF Modules, and why we keep it out of the search paths by default.

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(4,127 Views)

@MattP wrote:

Hi Bruce,

To give some color, there is the Polynomial Scaling module and the Scaling Framework.  The Scaling Framework is an abstract class that provides most of the UI and runtime elements needed for many kinds of scales.  The Polynomial Scaling module provides the specific scale configuration page in the editor and the specific scaling operation at runtime.  If you wanted to make a different kind of scale (RTD, look up table, etc) you can do so by just inheriting from the Scaling Framework module and overriding only the pieces that you need to change.

The Scaling Framework module should never be included in a configuration, since it is only 80% of a functioning module.  This is why it installs to DCAF Templates, not DCAF Modules, and why we keep it out of the search paths by default.

Note sure how my search path ended up being ....\vi.lib\NI   , which is obviously why I am picking up that scaling template.  But that sounds like something that would suit my purposes better as I have hundreds of modbus tags, coming from multiple remote IO slaves, which I am converting to engineering units, and also combining in to arrays because I have 10 instances of the same subsystem in the plant and I can't have 10 different comms modules writing in to the same array.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,124 Views)