Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Calibration Procedure for NI 4050 DMM

I am looking for a manual calibration procedure for an NI 4050 5-1/2 digit multimeter PCMCIA card.  Does anyone have any experience in calibrating these cards.  I would be interested in the type of equipment needed.  I have a Fluke 5520A that is capable of calibrating a 6-1/2 digit meter so I feel that it should be accurate enough to calibrate these cards.  I know there may be a few frequencies on the low end that I am not able to obtain but I feel I should still be able to obtain a valid calibration.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Terry
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,198 Views)

Good morning Terry,

Thanks for contacting National Instruments with your issue, we'll try our best to resolve it for you as quickly and efficiently as possible. 

We recommend that any user interested in calibrating our devices, such as the NI 4050, utilize NI Calibration Executive (https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/software-products/download.calibration-executive.html) Using the Fluke 5520A would not be acceptable according to the NI Calibration Executive Help (https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/calibration-executive/page/user-manual-welcome.html )

The recommended calibrator is the Fluke 5700A or 5720A.  There are some general guidelines available in the NI Calibration Executive Help on how to calibrate the NI 4050, with a focus on using the software to develop a manual or automated test procedure.

Best of luck with your project.

Sincerely,
Minh Tran

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,181 Views)

The NI PCMCIA-4050 DMM has been end-of-life for a long time, and it has not been supported by NI-DMM for years.

I assume you already have a computer with an old-enough 32-bit Windows version and an old-enough NI-DMM driver version to use the instrument. You will need to get your hands on a similarly ancient Calibration Executive. Hopefully someone from NI metrology can help, I'll try to track someone down.

Here's some documentation I found: NI 4050/4060 Calibration Procedure - NI

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(312 Views)