Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to test multiple resitances with one usb 4065?

Hi,

I have a previous post asking about use of PCI 4065 with C#. i was able to simulate and test the device with no problem but now a question came up. The company where I'll be working on the project needs to test several locations in the circuit for resitance values. Right now they have one pci 4065. I was wondering, can you take two different 2-wire resitance values form different part of the circuit with one of these DMM's? I mean, they are saying, since there are 2 hi and 2 low inputs, that they could be connected to two different parts of the circuit to obtain to 2 wire resistance values? Is this possible? If not, how would I go to solve this problem? What devices should be needed for such operation? In the end I the program is supposed to test a circuit by getting 5 resistance values of each device. The wire connection is not to be changed to get each resitance value.Any questions, feel free to ask. This answer might change what wil lbe needed to complete the project.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,658 Views)

Miguel,

All NI Digital Multimeters are single-channel. Voltage and resistance measurements use the first two inputs. Current measurements use the second and third inputs (counting from the top). 4-wire resistance measurements use all four inputs. This page may be helpful.

Typically, when needing to measure multiple test points with a DMM, the DMM is hooked up to a Switch. Different relays on the Switch are then connected to each of your test points, and you use the switch to connect paths from the DMM to each test point.

Here are several links to the basics of switching to take multiple measurements:

Switch/DMM Hardware Configurations

Simplify Your DMM: Top Five Tools and Tips

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Tobias

Software Engineer

Modular Instruments/Precision DC

National Instruments

Tobias
Principal Software Engineer
Driver Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,642 Views)