cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 34401A

Hi,

I am a beginner to labview.

I am trying to write a very simple program. Here it is ---

I am sweeping voltage from 0 to 5 V using Agilent E3647A and i am measuring the current with  Agilent 34401A DMM.

My problem is that the rate of data acquisition is very slow. From my program what i have written i see that the loop itterates only two times per second, which is too slow. Can someone help me in this regard. How can i increase the speed of data aquauisition?

I have tryied changing to fast 5 1/2, fast 4 1/2 manually in Multimeter but  there is not much change. I think Multimeter is automatically coming to the default state of slow 5 1/2 .

Thankyou in Advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(9,157 Views)

While learning LabVIEW, also read the user manuals from your source and the DMM

Read them page to page, cover to cover, event if not all features of the instruments are not in your focus, do it once , it will help you for the rest of an engineers live 😉

(I did that 25 years ago with the HP3458 user manual(s)) 

Now you should have an good overview of the capabilities of these instruments, and think of a nice strategie on how to measure fast and/or accurate 🙂

Usually these instruments provide trigger capabilties you can use to sync them...

RS488 also has some sync options ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(9,149 Views)

Setting and reading data from two instruments in 500ms over GPIB?  That actually sounds reasonable to me.  You might want to try to sequence your communications a little better.  Right now you have no clue which instrument you are talking to when.  You should do your set, read current, then read voltage (you can flip the voltage and current readings if you want).  Use the error cluster to sequence your commands.  That could be causing things to slow down.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(9,146 Views)

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have gone throgh the manual of both the source meter and the multimeter (but not completely).

In the multimeter there 6 resolution options--

a) fast 4 1/2 b) slow 4 1/2 c) fast 5 1/2 d) slow 5 1/2 e) fast 6 1/2 and f) slow 6 1/2.

6 1/2 is is the most accurate and have the lowest speed and 4 1/2 is the least accurate but the fastest and by default it is in the slow 5 1/2 mode. When i change it to fast 5 1/2 (manually) and run the labview program it suspect it goes into slow mode? I am not able to understand?????Smiley Mad

Also can you suggest how to set the resolution choices by labview. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(9,133 Views)

@chandan1259 wrote:

If you read the programming manual, you should find the command to send the DMM to set the resolution/accuracy setting.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(9,129 Views)

have gone throgh the manual of both the source meter and the multimeter (but not completely).

In the multimeter there 6 resolution options--

a) fast 4 1/2 b) slow 4 1/2 c) fast 5 1/2 d) slow 5 1/2 e) fast 6 1/2 and f) slow 6 1/2.

6 1/2 is is the most accurate and have the lowest speed and 4 1/2 is the least accurate but the fastest and by default it is in the slow 5 1/2 mode. When i change it to fast 5 1/2 (manually) and run the labview program it suspect it goes into slow mode? I am not able to understand?????:smileymad:

if anyone got answer share with me..pls..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,391 Views)

What commands to you send in your LabVIEW code?  You are likely sending a Reset command during the initialization.  Are you using provided drivers?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,389 Views)