Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does the USB-6501 show 5V on every terminal?

I just got my new NI USB-6501 I/O module.  I have the drivers installed and can see it on MAX etc.  I put 4 wires into terminals P2.7, P2.3, P2.0 and +5V, and fifth wire into the GND terminal.

When I put these 4 wires on a digital multimeter vs. GND, ALL of them show +4.7V.  I thought only the +5V line would show voltage...why are they all showing 5V?  Is this unit defective, or should they all be displaying this voltage?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,008 Views)

They will of course display that voltage until you program the lines to be an output and set the logic state to False. With the pullup on each line, what you are seeing is normal when you first turn it on.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,006 Views)

OK, I can work with that.  But, how do I go about programming the individual lines?  I was in MAX, and I can select them as either input or output lines, but, still they show the 5V.  Also, I found something about an interface for the 6501, but, I cannot find these files anywhere on my PC.  How do I find the user interface for this module?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,003 Views)
In MAX, after you select a line as an output, you can then select the logic level. You don't mention what programming language you are using and I have no idea what sort of interface you need. start with the example programs that are installed with the driver.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,998 Views)

Hi, Thank you,

"start with the example programs that are installed with the driver. "  Where do I find these????  I clearly have the correct drivers installed, but, I have been searching for a user interface because there is a citation on another forum posting about where to find this vi, but, I do not have the  directory specified, despite having the driver installed properly.  I can see now how to use MAX, and I wrote a simple VI that makes a boolean indicator display when the TTL voltage input to a terminal is exceeded.

By the way, I am using Labview 2011 base system.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,991 Views)
Help> Find Examples.

Referring to a post without a link is not a good practice.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,987 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Sorry, I forgot to include the link.  The directory called out here does not exist on my PC...maybe it's because this post is about LV2008 and I am running LV2011.  What is the appropriate ".llb file"???

"To locate the Interactive Control Panel, open the appropriate .llb file in the following file path:

<LabVIEW directory>\examples\daqmxbase "

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AF0F31EE5D2AD23F862573140009D7C2

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,974 Views)

Hey Dave,

If you download the newest update of the DAQmx drivers, it should also include the examples library which is referred to. You can find the link for DAQmx drivers here.

Hope this helps!

Joe S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,960 Views)