Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital output sourcing or analog output for driving loads / sensors (9475 vs 9264)

Hello,

I have a compactRIO system , I need to supply voltages to my sensors (pressure, refractometers, LEDs, buzzers, small motors, etc) all these have different voltages and current ratings.

I am looking at analog voltage output modules 9263/9264  4/16 channels, both have a max programmable voltages +/- 10V. i could live with that but the max current drive is much less than what my sensors/actuators require to run. so i thought i can use a 9475 digital out sourcing module , but it seems that digital out put voltage is (Vsup-I0Ro) is basically just Vsup out of all the ports.

(see comparision table in this link)

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-59/lang/en

is it possible to program each digital output with different voltages on 9475 or any sourcing digital output modules (see comparisoion tables in below link) they have upto 1A/ch which would be great for my application , even 750mA/ch may be sufficient. but am i stuck with constant voltage output ??

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-173/lang/en

and I have my compactRIO connected to NI PS-17 power supply (28VDC, 20A) or a 12VDC, 10,000 mAh tenergy battery pack depending on where its used field/lab

so my question here is can i use either of these to supply to some module that fits in compact rio that give out variable voltages at high current atleast 200mA/ch

or do i have to build DC-DC converters to use with 28VDC ps-17 / 12Vdc battery seperately. if this is the case then i have to create a lot of them one each for my sensor which i definitely dont want to do..

does somebody know any clever ideas to overcome my problem of having not to unnecessary build supply conversions but just use variable voltage out module that will drive atleast 200mA/ch or more....

i am using a 4 slot chasis , the other 3 slots have 16 ch TC, 9477 DO sinking, and AI module, so i have only one slot left.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,299 Views)

This is a tough problem.

The DC output modules cannot put out any other voltage than the voltage supplied and the Analog output modules are not made for high power/current output.

Essentially you are looking for a programmable, multichannel DC-to-DC converter module which NI does not make to date. Unfortunately my best shot at a solution is the previously mentioned DC-to-DC converter array. 

You could also look for 3rd party C series modules or a multiple output DC-to-DC converter module depending on your needs.

Ben J.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,277 Views)