Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with 6534 Digital I/O Card

Hello

I have two problems with my PCI 6534. I am running a basic application created using NI-DAQ7 and Visual C++. I have been using a simple shipped example for digital input and output but I am periodically faced with the error -10455 No DMA Channel Available. I have looked on the discussion forum and have tried to use Init_DA_Brds with little success. I am sometimes faced with a different error stating that the board is not responding on the base address.... any idesa what is going on and how I can ensure the board is being reset?

I have also noticed that there is no +5 available from pin 1 of the 68Pin connector..... could this have something to do with the intermittent operation of my card and program?

Any help would
be gratefully appreciated..

Kind Regards

Jamie
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,124 Views)
Hi Jamie,

Which example program are you using? Please try running the following examples in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Examples\VisualC\Di or ..\Do titled, "DIdoubleBufPatternGen653x.C" or "DIsingleBufPatternGen653x.C". Both of these examples will use Traditional NI-DAQ function calls. If either one of these examples, or their digital output counterparts, generate the -10455 DMA error you are seeing, please do the following:

1) Close out of Visual C and launch Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX). Under devices and interfaces -> Traditional NI-DAQ Devices, right-click on your PCI-6534 and select Properties. Note how many DMA channels are assigned to your board (may have up to 3 channels). Click Test Resources. If the device fails,
please continue with (2); otherwise, open up a Test Panel and verify that it works. Then close out of MAX and try running the examples above first to see if you still have the error. If you still see the error on single digital input or single digital output, please let me know.
2) The device is not installed properly. Shutdown the computer, remove the card and reboot. Power down again, add the card, and power up the computer. If it still fails in MAX, continue to 3.
3) Try switching PCI slots. You may also need to uninstall and reinstall the driver. Be sure to remove the hardware anytime you remove the driver.
4) Try installing the driver and then adding the card on a different computer.

If after all of this you still have trouble, please let me know what has failed and what operating system you are using. You may also find the following website helpful: <>

Hope this helps.

Kristi Hummel
Applications Engineer
National Instrumen
ts
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,123 Views)
If the input/output groups are not "cleared" and unassigned before the application quits, then the DMA resource is not released correctly. Once this happens, I know of no other way to free this resource than to restart the computer. This is a problem if you ever end a program prematurely in debug mode, or if an application has a fatal error and must exit.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,123 Views)