Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterned input and output from a single port w/ NI 6534 DIO

Is it possible to configure certain lines in a port to be read and others to be write? I am interested in doing patterned I/O with a single port, first output, then input. Not both at the same time. Is it possible to perform patterned output on one line and patterned input on a different line within the same port?

Thanks
-Scott
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,170 Views)
Hi Scott,
I understand that you'd like to do digital I/O on a PCI-6534. All of the scenarios you outlined in your question should be possible with this board.

1. You can configure some lines of a port to output signals while others input signals by using a line direction map.

2. You can do patterned I/O on the same port at the same time.

I'm not sure what software you're using to interface with the 6534, but if you happen to be using LabVIEW, then there is a shipping example which demonstrates the basics of patterned I/O on a single port of a DIO board. The example is called Digital Multi-line Direction (E).vi and can be found in Help >> Find Examples. If you are using another programming language, then there may be examples on ni.com.

Hope this helps
Marcus G.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,170 Views)
Hi-
Thanks for your response. My situation has changed a bit. I need to do patterned output and input at the same time. I am using LabWindows CVI v6. I tried to set this up, and I received an error that the port was already assigned to a group, when I tried to assign it to both input and output groups.
-Scott
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,170 Views)
Hey Scott,
After futher research into the matter, it appears that the 653x devices only perform bit assigned I/O when they are in the unstrobed (software-timed) I/O mode. You can find more information about this mode and how to set it in the 653x user manual page 2-1. If you don't have a hard copy of the manual, you can access it at the following url:
http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/EDE443F5C700373A862569B90072D26F?OpenDocument

Thanks for contacting NI, and good luck!
Marcus G.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,170 Views)